Grain mill motors on eBay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzkramer

Reaction score
There are some nice Dorner motors on ebay right now. They have both CW and reversible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorner-1-4-...ltDomain_0&hash=item2c65c607a5#ht_3151wt_1176

Description:
Our Internal Stock # 12-B4-13 (6-1-12 dale)

You are about to purchase the following item: 1 - Dorner 1/4 HP AC Motor w/ Dorner 90 degree Gear Box. 10:1 Ratio, 62MS411FR

FORWARD / REVERSE (from toggle switch)

1/4 HP AC Motor (.33 HP)

Spec# 33-1194W427

Serial# W0512142410

Cat# S F A 5.6/2.8

Volts: 115 / 230

5 / 2.5 A

1725 RPM

Frame: 42CZ

60 Hz - 1 Ph

Ser. F. 1.35

TEFC

Equipped With: Dorner Gear 820-271 Gear Reducer

Dorner Gear Gear Reducer

Part# 820-271

Date Code: 0904

Shaft Size: 1/2"

Ratio 10:1

This unit was taken Directly from Working Service. Is Being Sold in GOOD WORKING Condition

I used a 1/4 hp motor with pulleys to run my MM# at 220 rpm, and it would bog down on wheat malt. With a 1/2 hp motor it chews right through it without a hiccup.

1/4hp has been known to work fine. at 10:1 the torque should be ok.

they're made to run industrial conveyor belts, they cant be that bad.

also, it comes with the capacitor and switches all hooked up. you just have to put a 3-prong 110v on the end.

1/4hp has been known to work fine. at 10:1 the torque should be ok.

As noted, my personal experience was that it worked, but I wouldn't call it fine. With pulleys reducing my rpms to 220, using the 1/4 hp motor I had to pour the wheat malt carefully to keep the mill from stalling. With the 1/2 hp motor I can just fill the hopper, turn it on, and come back when it's done. Perhaps the gear drive makes it "fine".

I thought we were here for the opportunity to learn from each other's experience. This was my experience.

As noted, my personal experience was that it worked, but I wouldn't call it fine. With pulleys reducing my rpms to 220, using the 1/4 hp motor I had to pour the wheat malt carefully to keep the mill from stalling. With the 1/2 hp motor I can just fill the hopper, turn it on, and come back when it's done. Perhaps the gear drive makes it "fine".

I thought we were here for the opportunity to learn from each other's experience. This was my experience.

So... does this mean my $10 1HP motor I picked up should be able to mill gravel? :ban::ban::ban:
Cant wait to get my mill built...

Back