Grain mill broken...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked my BC and it is still working well.
I did open the gap up to .045" because at .039 & .042 it was creating too much dust in the crush bucket.
I know this may only be optimal setting for the base malt that I tested (Rahr 2-row) but it resulted in some nicely cracked vs flour.
I will definitely re-test with the specialty grains.

I just checked my BC and it is still working well.
I did open the gap up to .045" because at .039 & .042 it was creating too much dust in the crush bucket.
I know this may only be optimal setting for the base malt that I tested (Rahr 2-row) but it resulted in some nicely cracked vs flour.
I will definitely re-test with the specialty grains.

do you use software to calculate effec? with my original phil mill, that smashed grain on a slant i was only getting like 65%? now i'm still using a JSP, at 028....

Having run a BC for many years, that is a huge gap for barley...
Well my understanding is I want the hull split and the starchy-part fractured but not powdered.
I got that at .045 using feeler gauge and checking at both ends of the rollers.
I believe two row and six row may warrant different setting as well since the presumably smaller grain size would require tighter setting to achieve the same result, no?
In any case my OG measurements usually match those predicted by Beer Smith.
What gap do you usually run? I will admit the possibility of a Gauge R&R error.

It's more a curiosity than anything else. I always ran my BC at .035" gap, tops, using an automotive feeler gauge set, and for some base malts I had to tighten it down to .032" (as you imply, all kernels are not equal) to get a quality crush. Also trying to preserve some capability of milling white wheat and oats without re-gapping.

I target low-90s for extract efficiency and will admit to minor aggression towards that end wrt mill gap :) and I also typically condition the malt which intrinsically allows a tighter gap without stalling the mill...

Cheers!

I target low-90s for extract efficiency and will admit to minor aggression towards that end wrt mill gap :) and I also typically condition the malt which intrinsically allows a tighter gap without stalling the mill...

Cheers!

I have noticed a tendency for the mill to stall with some of the specialty grains, they are obviously harder when roasted or crystal.

i always heard crush till you're scared, so mill as close to flour as possible?

I thought it was keep tightening the mill each time you brew until you get a stuck mash, then open it just a little. The closer you come to getting a stuck mash the higher your mash efficiency but clearing a stuck mash every time becomes a real chore.

I thought it was keep tightening the mill each time you brew until you get a stuck mash, then open it just a little. The closer you come to getting a stuck mash the higher your mash efficiency but clearing a stuck mash every time becomes a real chore.

sounds like a good plan

Some folks here have reported getting a little more life out of a BC by reversing the rollers. Take the base apart, remove the rollers, turn them end for end, and reassemble. This puts the opposite edges of the knurling in contact with the grain providing enough ”bite“ to produce a useable crush.

I finally got around to doing this. Man, it's like a new mill - ran 50# through it, never skipped a kernal. With the rollers out, I rubbed my finger in both directions and it was clear that the original direction had less bite.

The only problem is that I have to run the driven roller in reverse. Fortunately, the chuck on my DeWalt drill locks in a way that prevents it from loosening when run CCW.

Thanks for the idea, Grampa. Saved me some dollars.

Back