Grain Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighlandRanger

Reaction score
I have been having some efficiency issues lately and I'm wondering if my grain crush may be the culprit.

I have been getting my grain crushed at my local homebrew store and I'm not sure if it's crushed enough. It seems to me that a large number of kernels are not crushed. I took a pic of my grain before my last brew this weekend.

My brews used to come out to 75% but this one came out at 64.5%

What do you think?

1guzGFBIqVjz_CbaL5WkBi5GCq3brltQosmIO_eSbrHyIO1JXAnZxNtnrSWixFXce8wi5RAlW8afvLNl-oCMMKjaDevdwQkUZTR3pQkm0bUImRyL80W1cu4S6zzbiPZ5kyffEpRbNpal3iPDgfNWHl80GT4dExyrSBxBW2D9E8OjZbj3Hr6hqX5iuJTaqTECgYWfluJ23Ewegs0kA4o-vug1fR157rGmjn-vtUC-RTFISidNVOMTKuR9rcriywFvg6ZWOfBLDfXh3g7HWehY_zomPuFNV-EpVRxUwqwd36z1SJQ7o3vCCnAstHmTWBzAWk9S7bMReAkHP5UbHiGJcAYty2NKqyW4HFGbbzCOgkyhOXyPLlOBNWLAJrFW8U-sum3SBo9B7ZrrgrCa8UAOO7mBBfLk5hOKMcEf644qjMsZQ1UORZhvEcegCTJO9defk58qarUKbDm5xkoKnXiv1tIA9D7H_LzLkev-Iim8Z-y8o2U4ctYhoFPjAzfHHPcPtRUbNySaRo4chMP-xjzBK44saWcOF_eCXhRegs55Nz80NBxB9p5P7wnMP857BzTzSHiERFBKYr3MOdUDEacX7zTzyuW5zEnYUiv53twXSW9IpE3Mgg=w1663-h935-no

Very light crush. Do they do it for you, or is it self serve? Mine is self serve and I used to run it through several times before I got my own mill.

It looks like the kernels near your palm are nearly intact! I would use a different mill or move the rollers closer. I am not sure if multiple runs on it will make much of a difference with that result.
My kernels come out pretty pulverized and the husks are torn in half. I get better efficiency w\o stuck mashes. What is your filtration (false bottom) system like?

A lot of uncrushed grains. That would definitely account for the decrease in efficiency.

If you are going to do all grain a good grain mill that you can set the crush is the way to go. I just dialed mine in until I got the efficiency I wanted. Now I hit my numbers almost exactly every time.

That's what I thought. Yes they crush it for me. Next time I will see if they can give me a better crush. Run it through a couple or few times.

Latest posts

Back