grain bill snafu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

positiverpr

Reaction score
im brewing jamils dubbel and ordered 1.5 instead of .5 caramunich(al grains bulk-packaged). this will add 2-3 og points and 3 points for color. i know there will be some sweetness but im wondering about overall flavor impact with 14 lbs grain total and 0.75 belgian dark syrup.

Are you saying that they mixed the grains all in the same bag? If you are the one who ordered extra of one grain then it is not their fault unless they mis-measure.

As far as taste goes it will be darker but you have to make the call. It will be your beer and you have to drink it.

The only other out would be to order enough of the other ingrediants for this recipe to balance all the grains and mix it up real good and make 3 equal batches of this same mixed grain.

i didnt realize that i implied fault anywhere but with myself(specifically said "I ORDERED ..."). anyway thanks for such insightful input with the rest of your answer.

I would not eliminate the candi syurp. The extra caramunich is going to add unfermentables. The candi syrup is fermentable, so removing it would result in a higher final gravity and more sweetness.

In looking over Jamil's recipe, he mentions mashing low and long. I think that's going to be the key to countering the potentially higher FG and residual sweetness added by the extra caramunich. If you can mash at 148-149° for a full 90 minutes that will give you a more fermentable wort. The other factor is going to be a big pitch of healthy yeast. Definitely make a starter. I'd go with a 2L or even 3L starter. Either let it ferment out completely and decant the spent beer prior to pitching or pitch the whole thing 12-24 hours after making it.

Another idea would be to remove a pound of the mixed grains from the bill and replace them with table sugar. That would replace some of the unfermentables with something that is going to ferment out completely, perhaps balancing out the added caramunich.

Even if you do nothing, all that is going to happen is that the beer will be darker and slightly sweeter. It most likely will still be within style guidelines, if that matters to you, and will still be a darn good beer.

Good luck!
Chad

i didnt realize that i implied fault anywhere but with myself(specifically said "I ORDERED ..."). anyway thanks for such insightful input with the rest of your answer.

I'm trying to to cover all the bases and not get anyone upset. :)

appreciate everyones input. i brewed it this am and i did mash at 148-149. i had already made a big starter(over 2l) with 2 vials of 530wlp on a stirplate. i think it will be fine i was looking for thoughts. my only worry is that when this thing takes off it may blow off the blow off so to speak. no problem wbc,, my response was a little snappy but it was late and i was dog tired and pissed at myself for being an idiot. i order from austin homebrew and couldnt be happier with there service.

Back