Grain bill for a NE Style Hoppy Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebradeltaone

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to brew a New England style Pale ale this weekend and was looking for some reassurance/advice on my grain bill.

Here is my grain bill.

7lbs Maris Otter (57.1%)
2 lbs Golden Promise (16.3%)
1 lb, 12 ozs Flaked wheat (14.3%)
1 lb, 8 ozs White wheat malt (12.2%)

Thanks

No hard and fast rules, just IMHO:

Mixing base malts is good.

Replace one of the wheat with a lesser amount of crystal or caramel.

Optional: replace the wheat in whole or part with oats.

Add some form of sugar.

Keep the proportions of crystal and sugar relatively small.

Something like:

4.5 lbs Maris Otter
4.5 lbs Golden Promise
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt
0.375 lbs Crystal 10
0.25 lbs Turbinado

Hello,

I'm looking to brew a New England style Pale ale this weekend and was looking for some reassurance/advice on my grain bill.

Here is my grain bill.

7lbs Maris Otter (57.1%)
2 lbs Golden Promise (16.3%)
1 lb, 12 ozs Flaked wheat (14.3%)
1 lb, 8 ozs White wheat malt (12.2%)

Thanks

If you want the NE style haze I would keep the wheat high and make sure I was using a yeast that would help with haze. I would probably do something like this:

40% Maris Otter
40% Golen Promise
15-18% Flaked wheat
And the rest white wheat malt.

Ferment with something like London ale yeast.

I think that would be a pretty good malt bill

I don't think it has to be overly complicated...You can probably go with just pale malt or 2-row and flaked oats and be good...Add in the flaked wheat if you want to get fancy, and t
Simple sugar if you want some more ABV

I agree..... there are a lot of ways to get to where you want to go, and it does not need to be complicated. In general:

80% Base malt - any combination of 2 row, Golden Promise, Maris Otter, Pilsner will be fine.
18% - Any combination of flaked grains (oats, barley, wheat) plus some regular white wheat if you want.
2% - Caramel/crystal of a variety to get the color you want with no "caramel" flavor. Personally, I like honey malt (27L) to get in the 5 SRM range of color. But, any crystal type malt (probably 40 or under) can probably work depending on what SRM you want to end up at.

You could do something as simple as:
80% Maris
18% Flaked Oats
2% Honey Malt

Or, you could split out the base and flaked to include other grains as well.

If you want the NE style haze I would keep the wheat high and make sure I was using a yeast that would help with haze. I would probably do something like this:

40% Maris Otter
40% Golen Promise
15-18% Flaked wheat
And the rest white wheat malt.

Ferment with something like London ale yeast.

I think that would be a pretty good malt bill

It's not the yeast that gives you haze. The haze is all about how and when the hops are added and the byproducts of that. The strain of conan I use drops crystal clear with no fining agents in other styles of beer, but my IPAs are hazy. People have experimented with all kids of yeast including ones that are commonly used in perfectly clear west coast styles, and they still come out hazy when following the hop additions. The wheat and oats may contribute slightly, but i've seen plenty of people make hazy IPAs without either.

Grain bill looks good. Keep the kettle hop additions low and focus more on whirlpool hops and dry hops. Add the dry hops at the tail end of active fermentation when there's still a few points left.

It's not the yeast that gives you haze. The haze is all about how and when the hops are added and the byproducts of that. The strain of conan I use drops crystal clear with no fining agents in other styles of beer, but my IPAs are hazy. People have experimented with all kids of yeast including ones that are commonly used in perfectly clear west coast styles, and they still come out hazy when following the hop additions. The wheat and oats may contribute slightly, but i've seen plenty of people make hazy IPAs without either.

Add the dry hops at the tail end of active fermentation when there's still a few points left.

+1

The hopping plays a key role in this regard. I have the same experience with Conan. I have used 1056 and 1272 regularly as well and get the same "haze" when making this type of beer (and only this beer).

Like others have said, I've made a few NE IPA/PA clones (MBC Lunch, Trillium Fort Point, etc.) with a very simple grain bill, usually about 80% 2-row, about 15% something like Crystal 10L and 5% Carapils. Having grown up with more amber IPAs, I was shocked when I first tried something like Dinner or one of the Trillium Street series.

Grain bill looks good. Keep the kettle hop additions low and focus more on whirlpool hops and dry hops. Add the dry hops at the tail end of active fermentation when there's still a few points left.

Good to know. I believe I read somewhere that yeast plays a role. Sorry for throwing out false info :ban:

Good to know. I believe I read somewhere that yeast plays a role. Sorry for throwing out false info :ban:

yeast plays a role in other ways. Adding the dry hops while there is still active fermentation does something. Biotransformations or something like that. Different yeasts react more or less during this. Some back the hops up really well, others less so.

It was a common misconception early on that NEIPAs were hazy because there was a bunch of yeast still in suspension. This is not the case however.

Back