grain bill a little short--what would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
I am brewing a beer I did recently, which turned out great. It's a Pilsner Urquell clone (https://byo.com/recipe/pilsner-urquell-clone/).

Grain bill is supposed to be:

8 lbs. (3.6 kg) Pilsner malt
1 lb. (0.45 kg) Vienna malt
0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) Munich malt
0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) Carapils

But while out yesterday I stopped at my LHBS and went from memory on the grain bill and got the pilsner wrong (only got 7 pounds).

First time I did this, my OG was 1.050 with a target of 1.048. So 2 points over.

I'd rather not reduce batch size, so my question comes down to whether, with a 'delicate' beer like this there is any risk adding some light DME . And if it's OK, how much should I add and when should I add it? ...keeping in mind I don't want to make up for the WHOLE 1 pound that I'm short since I was 2 points over w/8 pounds of pilsner last time.

In case it's relevant: I'm planning to do a decoction mash again, as per the recipe, and will use the gigayeast czech pilsner yeast I harvested from the previous batch.

I would use the DME as a late addition in the boil, last ten minutes. A pound of pilsner is about .7# of DME. Two points is really no difference, I wouldn't try to adjust for it. Good luck, keep us posted.

I'd probably just skip the DME and brew it anyway. The OG will be a little lower but you may not notice the difference in the final product.

I'm sure it would have been just fine either way, but I went with the majority view and left it as-is--no DME. OG is 1.046, so two points on the other side of the target this time.

Thanks, all!

Back