grain and hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker111

Reaction score
Hi all.
Brewed a double batch of Big Dog brown ale yesterday. All went well.
Hops called for later addition fuggles and I realized I was out so subbed in Willammet. the percent difference was only one so I used it. This seem like a good substitute?

Also, recepie calls for medium crystal and a crystal T-50. I used a crystal 75 and a crystal 40. What is a t-50?

Hops called for later addition fuggles and I realized I was out so subbed in Willammet. the percent difference was only one so I used it. This seem like a good substitute?

Willamette is a decent substitute for Fuggles. What do you mean by "the percent difference?" Do you mean Alpha Acid %? If so, you can (should) adjust bittering hop quantities, depending on their alpha acid content.

Thanks you both. Yes the AA % was close. You are right I could have adjusted . I figure this is a malt style beer and over 13.5 g in the kettle for boil it should not make a bid difference. Total hops for the beer doubles is only 4 oz.

Thanks you both. Yes the AA % was close. You are right I could have adjusted . I figure this is a malt style beer and over 13.5 g in the kettle for boil it should not make a bid difference. Total hops for the beer doubles is only 4 oz.

I'm sure your beer will be fine. That said, I would recommend always making the adjustment. Just as an example, say the original hops were 4% AA, and the replacement hops were 5% AA. That sounds close, only "1%" difference. But that's a 25% increase in bitterness (IBUs).

Back