Grain absortion rate help plz ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romex2121

Reaction score
Trying to get my water / grain absortion rate figured out ,, at the beginning of nov. I made a blonde ale ( waiting for bottles to carb ) total grain amount was 5.39 pounds , 7 quarts of 163ish degree water was used for mash , after the 60 min. Mash i got back 4 quarts (1 gal. ) of wort,
i tipped the mash tun to get all the liquid i could so very little to none of the wort was left in mash tun ( 5 gal. Igloo cooler )..
What is the absortion rate (per pound) for 7 quarts of water to 5.39 pounds of grain = 4 quarts collected after 60 min. mash.......

You absorbed 3/5.39 = .56 qt per lb of grain. That's pretty close to the usual quote of .125 gal per lb for non BIAB (i.e. 1/2 qt per lb).

i did sparge and lauter ;) .....
Thank you Chickypad , i tried a couple different equations but kept getting crazy numbers , as you can tell math is not a strong point of mine :no:.....

Grain absorption formula is:

Grain Absorption Rate = (Strike Volume - First Runnings Volume) / Grain Bill Weight
Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back