Graff In Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcline

Reaction score
Just a quick newbie question...do I stir my Graff at any point during the fermentation? My first batch has been working for 4 days and the yeast is really starting to slow. Should I mix it up or no? Thanks for your help.

Todd

taking a hydrometer reading would probably help answer this question, but the short answer is no, it should be fine. The first few days are usually the most vigorous fermentation so slowing doesn't mean anything bad.

If you take a reading and it's still really high then you might want to consider giving it a gentle stir and even warming it a bit but probably only if it's still high after a week or two. At only four days I'd say let it sit for another 3 at least, maybe even another week and a half, and then check SG. I don't know what Brandon's recipe usually gets down too but my similar malted cider got down to about 1.006 I think.

Mine finished at 1.008 with Nottingham, if you're near 1.02 and it's still going then I think you're right on schedule.

Back