GPS app(Android) for rockhound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corkybstewart

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The weekends I don't spend brewing my wife and I like to collect minerals, mostly in New Mexico but sometimes Arizona and maybe soon Colorado. So I have a book of GPS coordinates of collecting sites all over the west, now I need a way to use them. I'd like to get a good app for Android that will work but I might also be willing to get a good handheld GPS. Any suggestions on good ones?

Garmin for one has a large selection. You can go to this page and compare ones for hiking: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cIntoSports-c10340-p1.html

For Android, I have downloaded a few but have not really used them. Map My Hike, Backpacker GPS Trails, Scout, ViewRanger GPS. Go to the app store and download some free ones and see if you find one that fits your needs.

I think using a tool built for the purpose is always the better route.
I like the Garmin gpsmap series. Affordable and easy to use.

I use my Ipad Air II along with Google Maps and other mapping apps to find my way into remote locations all the time. I've also used my 7" Asus tablet the same way. You need to make sure that your maps of the area are available without a wireless or cellular connection, which means having a mapping ap that stores the maps on the tablet at the projection you need. Google Maps can do this ........you just need to go there on maps and save the maps you want. It's best to have a tablet with a cellular connection so you can get a satellite or terrain view if you need one by backing up the the nearest cellular connection. The app called You Need A Map among others stores it's maps on the device, but sometimes you want more. Spend the money for a 4G version. On my Ipad it was an extra $130 (well spent). You can do everything you want on an Android for less money just as well. Apple commands a premium price and doesn't really offer any advantage except for upgrades that are easy and work. This is my second Ipad, and I'm well satisfied except for two things. One is that car charging is marginal at best.... If you are using it pretty steadily in the car, you'd better have a power point that provides power when the car is off because you are going to lose ground. The system and the backlight draw more power than the car charger can supply. This is probably equally true of Android tablets. The other annoyance is the lack of any kind of file manager..........Though it is not really needed on IOS, but is essential in Android.

H.W.

I ran into an interesting phenomenon last week in the town of Heppner, Oregon. I couldn't get any GPS reading in town at all........ It's in a canyon though I would have thought it wide enough to have line of sight to the satellites..... A town with an interesting history of being virtually wiped out by a flash flood in 1903... The worst natural flash flood in US history, rebuilt in the same location.......It now sits directly beneath a huge dam making you feel like the sword of Damoclese is dangling over your head! You couldn't get me to live there!

H.W.

Back