got some (used) kegs wat do i do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theother1

Reaction score
So I got a couple used corny kegs a couple weeks ago and I'm not entirely sure what to do before I fill them up. They're really quite clean (I mean obviously sanitize). Idk how clean the dip tube is, the gaskets all look fine. Any tips? Much appreciated!

theother1 said:
So I got a couple used corny kegs a couple weeks ago and I'm not entirely sure what to do before I fill them up. They're really quite clean (I mean obviously sanitize). Idk how clean the dip tube is, the gaskets all look fine. Any tips? Much appreciated!
I'd replace the gaskets/o rings first, just to insure that there isn't any residual flavor that taint the beer. As part of sanitizing, put a gallon or so of bleach water in it and pressurize it, then let it all out through the tap so everything your beer will contact is sanitized. Lastly, follow that up with another gallon of clean water to gat all the bleach out! While doing this, you can adjust your pressure so you don't have to waste any beer experimenting with the pressure for a great pour. You'll love kegging, and cornys are so simple and easy to use and sanitize!

Whenever I get used kegs I always give them a good scrub with oxi-clean. I disassemble the entire keg, clean the dip tubes with a brush, and replace the o-rings. Then I sanitize and put them on pressure. Spray something foamy(star san) anywhere it might leak. Then I know what I've got.

Whenever I get used kegs I always give them a good scrub with oxi-clean. I disassemble the entire keg, clean the dip tubes with a brush, and replace the o-rings. Then I sanitize and put them on pressure. Spray something foamy(star san) anywhere it might leak. Then I know what I've got.

This has worked for my 4 kegs.

I'd replace the gaskets/o rings first, just to insure that there isn't any residual flavor that taint the beer. As part of sanitizing, put a gallon or so of bleach water in it and pressurize it, then let it all out through the tap so everything your beer will contact is sanitized. Lastly, follow that up with another gallon of clean water to gat all the bleach out! While doing this, you can adjust your pressure so you don't have to waste any beer experimenting with the pressure for a great pour. You'll love kegging, and cornys are so simple and easy to use and sanitize!

I would avoid bleach in the system. An Oxyclean/PBW type soak followed by a rinse and sanitizing with something like StarSan (I love the stuff) will make sure it is ready to go.

Definitely replace the O rings, I suggest disassembing the kegs entirely (remove the posts, dip tubes, poppits, etc) keeping the parts separated so they can be put back where they came as we have found that some kegs are particular with post assembly. Oxy soak the parts and rinse, reassemble then run some sanitizer through the keg. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Awesome. Thanks a lot guys. And I'll be getting all new tubing and such. I've got a friend with a five pound tank that well get converted to a co2 tap... Its got a ...different one on now lol. And another buddy with a regulator that we can use. We do have a keggerator were gonna put a temp gauge into. Is there anything else well need?

Awesome. Thanks a lot guys. And I'll be getting all new tubing and such. I've got a friend with a five pound tank that well get converted to a co2 tap... Its got a ...different one on now lol. And another buddy with a regulator that we can use. We do have a keggerator were gonna put a temp gauge into. Is there anything else well need?

Kegerator, kegs, tubing, taps, shanks, quick disconnects, CO2 tank and regulator... Nope that is all you need.

Just thoroughly clean and sanitize anything that will touch beer. To prevent foamy pours we all suggest 10-12 foot long beer lines to start. It is easier to trim line to speed the pour rather than make them longer.

If you are patient enough, for carbonating you will get the most consistent results by setting your serving pressure on the regulator and then attaching it to the keg and leaving it that way for a week or so. The other force carbonating methods are more inexact and can over/undercarbonate.

Latest posts

Back