Got my rhizomes...How to store them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered them because I wanted to make sure I got what I wanted, but realistically I wouldn't be able to do anything with them for at least a month.

I put them in the refrigerator in a ziplock bag. Is that the best option or should I be doing something differently?

Help!

I ordered them because I wanted to make sure I got what I wanted, but realistically I wouldn't be able to do anything with them for at least a month.

I put them in the refrigerator in a ziplock bag. Is that the best option or should I be doing something differently?

Help!
That's the way to do it.

Don't just stick them in the fridge...keep an eye on them as well. I few years back, I had a rhizome go from normal to moldy in about 2 weeks. I stuck it in the fridge and never looked twice at it. The other 3 are still very happy and healthy hop crowns. I'm not saying that yours will go moldy, just that mine did, and that's probably from contamination when being harvested.

The molds that grow are pretty much innocuous, same thing that will grow on . . . anything else you have in the fridge, haha! It really doesn't harm the rhizomes and I've dealt with this while storing many cuttings over the years if they don't move within a couple months of digging. If you're paranoid you can give them a quick rinse in a really dilute bleach solution to minimize issues like this (probably like 1 teaspoon in 5 gals of water), very dilute.

Back