got my malts today - gravity problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
ok, so today I finally got my 100 kg of barley malt.

I live very far away from US and I bought my malt from malt factory in Serbia. They are big producers, but no one of you probably heard of them.

I have 75 kg of pale ale, and 25 kg of some dark malt that they say is darker than munich malt (they say munich malt has color 20, and the one that they sold to me is color 60, so it is darker)

I don't know how to calculate OG from the malts that I have. It is 2 row barley. Do you maybe have a suggestion?

and one more question - if I use BIAB method, would very fine crush mean higher efficiency?

2-row malts are fairly consistent in terms of starch content. Figure 320 points per kilo per liter. I started with 38 PPG per pound, so you might want to check my math. Finer crushes improve efficiency, but they cause stuck mashes and if you shred the husks too much, you'll get flavors you don't want.

I'd go with 1.036 potential gravity for the pale and 1.035 for the darker stuff.

Yes, a finer crush will increase your efficiency with brew in a bag.

2-row malts are fairly consistent in terms of starch content. Figure 320 points per kilo per liter. I started with 38 PPG per pound, so you might want to check my math. Finer crushes improve efficiency, but they cause stuck mashes and if you shred the husks too much, you'll get flavors you don't want.

but I asked for finer crush with BIAB method. I suppose it might be finer than the one I would use if I mashed in MLT.

but I asked for finer crush with BIAB method. I suppose it might be finer than the one I would use if I mashed in MLT.

This is correct. You would crush finer than a "normal" crush, you will wind up with more flour which is OK but you still want husks. I am getting 70-80% efficiencies using the BIAB method with a finer crush. There is no difference between my beers when I fly sparge or BIAB, except clean up and sparge time.

This is correct. You would crush finer than a "normal" crush, you will wind up with more flour which is OK but you still want husks. I am getting 70-80% efficiencies using the BIAB method with a finer crush. There is no difference between my beers when I fly sparge or BIAB, except clean up and sparge time.

could you please shortly describe your BIAB procedure?

Back