Got my first kit and a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clindt

Reaction score
I got a homebrewing kit from my wife as an early Christmas present. I have brewed 3 batches before with friends and all of them have turned out really well.

Now for my question. Has anyone brewed a rye beer? The ingrediants that my wife picked out are for an American Rye. I am really excited to try something new.

Any hints on what flavors the rye will impart in the beer?

check the recipe section for humbolt hop rod rye
i am not sure if it is typical of rye beers but that clone recipe is tasty

Rye adds a slightly spicy flavor. I did a a 2/3'rds Hop Rod Rye clone and it was quite nice. I've had the original on tap & it was very good, but I wanted a lower gravity session ale.

I did Rye IPA not to long ago and it was really nice. It is spicy and I am planning on doing another in the near future. Post your recipe for sharing and other folks may want to give it a go. Good luck.

Rye is a great grain for brewing. It is spicy, almost peppery and can really add some great character to a brew. Rye ends up finding its way into a lot of my beers.

I had no idea the rye was such a popular ingrediant to use in beer.

The reciepe that I am using is just a standard American Pale Ale with the addition of 1lb. of rye malt added to the specialty grains. I can give you the exact reciepe if you would like, but I would really like to see how it turns out first. I wouldn't want anyone making any crappy beer.:cross:

Well, just cracked my first RyePA and man, was this beer amazing. It has a hint of citrus and is a little bit sweet. The hops are pronounced, but not overpowering and the malt flavor is well defined. I will definitely be brewing this beer again sometime.

Back