Got Chickens?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ that's funny because I got a bakers dozen this year and the runt was the meanest, fiestiest one. It would stand on the water bottle and taunt the other ones, and if we put any grapes or anything in it would peck at any chicken that got one until they have it up. It's the same size as the there now, and nice. Go figure.

I guess it can be a personality thing rather than size too.

The most we ever had at one time was 8. When one would start the "bock, bock, bock" they would all start doing it and it was quite a riot, noise wise I mean, especially in the barn off the metal walls. They used to like to get on the top edge of my front end loader all lined up, funny sight to see.

I'm originally from Texas and my mother who lives in the country, now has chickens. It was 4 but one got attacked my a dog :sad: and another got picked off by a hawk : sad: But these chickens are awesome and I wish she had more.

Funny enough my friend sent me this picture today from Austin

image-2682279220.jpg

They're now adding chickens to their backyard!

Funny how this thread appeared today ;)

Drunken rambling

Got snakes?

Got him...we think. Wife found the snake in the chicken coop curled up in one of their nests so she grabbed it. The snake itself is not small but not big either, when I saw it like 3 foot, 4 foot tops. Thing is the head is very small probably why it could not swallow the whole little chicken. But I did read they kill by constriction (explaining why no obvious trauma..except death lol) and that it is common for them to kill one victim and go back for more then come back and eat the first one. Sad.

We took the snake for a little drive....lol

Congrats!

Thanks, she found it (one) in the nests before too but it got away. I saw it (one) in the grass (again) in the area and went and got a trash can and a broom. When I put the trash can over the head the rest followed but when I tried to get it in it got away. Now she will grab them, me no, no thanks. :eek:

We extended our coop out 3 feet to accomodate 2 more chickens. We now have 4. We let them out at dusk. They free range around the yard until it gets dark and they return to the coop.

Back