Got called into work after I mashed in....:(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout001

Reaction score
Hey guys, noob here. I tried to search an answer for this on the forums, but didn't come up with anything. I started my 3rd 1 gallon Wit beer batch today. Poured the grist in the Igloo tun and hit it with my initial mash water. Wouldn't you know it, the phone rang and they needed me at work as soon as possible. Six hours later I come home; temperature of my mash/wort dropped to 84* in the tun. Can I save the wort by hitting it with the strike water and sparge it out, or is the saccrification process screwed?

More than likely you're done mashing and just need to sparge, and finish the boil process. Taste the wort; it should be sweet and not too sour (although you are allowed a little sourness because it's a wit ;) ). I think you'll be okay to finish up the batch as normal. I suspect you might attenuate lower than expected so you might consider dialing down your IBUs a titch to account for a thinner body and drier finish.

You know what brother? Best answer I found yet. I will, wth.

I think you will be OK also. But I suggest you get an answering machine. Listen to the message and decide then if you are going to answer it. In this case, when the brew session was finished... Call in and say you just got the message "do you still need me to come in?"

Haha, im an Army 1SG..so screening calls doesnt go well for me. But, one more reason to lean towards retirement. Anyways, Im halfway through boil and its looking good. Thanks for the support...Ill let ya know how it turns out in 6 weeks.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

Glad you decided to boil. You're half way through the process and it's not like you can save and mash those grains again, so why not finish and see what happens?

I, along with some of my friends, have mashed overnight before. No issues from what we could tell. It's a great time saver.

Latest posts

Back