Got Bored...Coconut Rum Soaked Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xernex

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
So I was really very happy with the Coconut stout I made last time, so much so I've had another batch just aging lying in wait for this keg to kick. Thing is I happened to notice my French oak chips, and a bottle of the wife's Malibu Coconut rum. Soaked a couple of ounces of chips in entirely too much rum for the last couple of days and just decided to toss the whole thing in with the stout. Let's hope this works...:mug:

I did something similar except I used Old Lahaina rum. Turned out very tasty!

Nice - The rum soaked oak had an amazing smell, and i sampled a bit of the rum before adding it...not bad at all, so hopefully this goes well.

How long did you end up letting yours sit in the beer?

Nice - The rum soaked oak had an amazing smell, and i sampled a bit of the rum before adding it...not bad at all, so hopefully this goes well.

How long did you end up letting yours sit in the beer?

I soaked 2oz of oak chips in 4oz of the rum and just dumped the whole damn thing in the bucket and let it sit for 5 days before kegging. After a few weeks it tasted like I was drinking a glass of oak infused with more oak but after a month and a half it got to be quite tasty!

Had a pint last night, in fact, and the wife loved it! :mug:

Latest posts

Back