Got a lb of Chinook, Columbus, Citra. Need IPA advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmonster2189

Reaction score
Recently brewed an all chinook IPA, loved it. Just bottled an all Columbus IPA, haven't cracked one yet but bottling sample was promising.
Just brewed an IPA with: 2 oz Columbus & 1 oz chinook @ 60, 2 oz Citra @ 15, and an oz of all three at flameout.
I like bitter, flavorful, and aromatic IPA's, basically a lot of everything.

My question is what would be a good schedule for a great IPA with these 3 hops?

I would do the Chinook at 60, Columbus at 30, big citra addition at flame out, and a huge Columbus dry hop. But that's just my preference. I think I started drooling while typing this.

I made the Drydock Breakwater Pale Ale from northern brewer and this was the hop schedule. I was happy with it.
-0.5ozChinook(60min)
- 0.25ozChinook(45min)
- 0.25ozChinook(30min)
- 0.5ozChinook(15min)
- 0.5ozChinook(2min)
- 0.5ozCitra(dryhop7days)

Edit. Sorry, cut and pasted to soon. Forgot this one didn't have Columbus.

Yeah, that sounds awesome Grantman. I'd go a similar route. I'd skip the thirty minute but still drop a nice chinook bittering charge that gets you about a third your ibus. Then get the rest from a 30-min hopstand at flameout with 2 parts citra, 2 parts columbus and 1 part chinook. I think you can estimate the ibu's for this type of hopstand as being similar to a 5 minute tinseth addition. Then drop the temp to 170ish and do another little hopstand with an ounce or two of citra and columbus before you start the chill. Ferment it out and drop a 3-4 oz dryhop in - maybe about 75% citra and 25% columbus.

I totally just stream of conscious-ed that, so probably take it with several grains of salt. Still though...it doesn't sound bad.

I like the schedule grantman, I'm going to crack the all Columbus IPA today so that will help me decide but I think I'm going to brew one with that setup or very similar, might push the Columbus to 20 or 15 min. The fruity smell currently coming out of my primary leads me to believe a bunch of late Citra would be awesome, hopefully the 2 oz I put in at 15 min won't be TOO fruity tasting, should have swapped my flameout and 15 min addition but Owell well see.

Thanks Don but I just brewed an all chinook IPA that used a 1/2 lb and I dry hopped with only an oz of centennial so that's pretty similar to your suggestion.

Back