Got a fermentation unit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctufano

Reaction score
Been brewing in a swamp bucket method... Beer has been coming out great, but wanted to get some new equipment... At a homebrew club brew day was talking with a member about what I should get next... told me fermentation control is the next logical step, which I agree with.

Hopped on Craigslist and found this chest fridge from a convenience store remodel... Talked them down half way in price and went and picked up last night. My brother in laws really lifted truck made it a much more memorable experience lol. It wasnt that bad tho...

Bought a digital Johnson control for it as well yesterday on the For Sale forum here... so, will be set to control my saison we're brewing next! :mug:

Had moved my garage fridge to make space for it, but moved it too much. Need to finish organizing... going to scuff the new unit, prime and paint it up. Not sure what color.. probably just black.. And get a new plate for the top to replace the one that said "COLD WINE"

i.php

i.php

As long as the shelves are removable (and I think they likely are) you should be golden. On the down side, you'll probably want to cover that glass to keep from skunking your brew. I don't know, but I'd think regular window tinting might be a good option, or you could just put a piece of plywood over the glass. :)

I found that a well cut piece of cardboard fits inside my doors' insulation. I then decorated mine with scrap 6 pack carriers and it keeps out almost all light. Of course my glass door refrigerator doesnt cool but it sure does keep warm with my heater installed.

Ya, thinking of how I want to handle. It sits directly across the garage from the windows and the morning sun is pretty good

I'll think of something that is either removeable or aesthetically pleasant. Currently I brew in buckets, so dont think I really have an issue

Shelves are removeable, but I may build something to keep the carbog/bucket elevated off the floor. I WAS thinking wood, but wood retains moisture... maybe weather treated wood... I'll probably just commission a welder I used to work to build me something.

Or a milk carton.. lol

I wanted to have the cooler on the left side of the fridge, and then I was going to attach some peg board to the side as well as maybe paint it with some chalkboard paint that could be changed for whats in fermenter w/ some notes... dates.. etc. Wife said no, fridge by door (we keep our dogs raw food in freezer, so makes it more accessible so I conceded)

Back