Gose..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcpd9318

Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with efficiency using acid malt?? I did a Gose that was 3.6lb Pilsner and Wheat with 1.5lb of acid malt.. I mashed at 148 for 60 mins with the pils/wheat with about 3 gals then added 5 gallons and acid malt, mashed for another 45 mins. Target OG in BF was 1040 and I only hit 1030.. I've never missed a gravity that bad before. It was a 60 min boil.. Thanks!

Was that 3.6 lb of pilsner and wheat each, or 3.6 lb total?

There's a chance you stopped the conversion by dropping the pH too much when adding the acid malt. What temperature did you reach when adding the "5 gallons and acid malt"? Did you add the hot water first and then the acid malt?

It was 3.6 each.. I added the 5 gallons of the hot water, then the acid malt right after.. I of course don't have a Ph meter so I didn't take a reading but I didn't think about the PH dropping and stopping conversion.

I wanted to mess with kettle souring but I couldn't fit it into my schedule and only had one day to brew..

What temperature was the water and what was the final temperature?

I want to say it was at 155 when I added it, the mash stayed at 148 all the way through

Well that shouldn't have denatured any of the enzymes then. One thing, why did you add 5 gallons to a mash that already had 3 gallons in it? You already had a very thin mash at 7.2 lb with 3 gallons (~1.67 qt/lb). By adding the 1.5 lb of acidulated malt along with the 5 gallons, you further thinned it out to 3.67 qt/lb. With that thin of a mash, enzymes might not have had a chance to convert the starches in a timely manner because they were too dilute.

With that much water in your mash, did you do a complete sparge? With that much water in the mash and only a 60 minute boil, it sounds like you didn't do a real sparge on it, just drained the water.

I doubt the water to grain ratio was too high. I regularly do full volume mashing with 9 lbs of grain and 8 gallons of water. No issues with conversion or efficiency.

I didn't do a sparge.. This was my first attempt at a sour-ish beer and I somewhat followed what it said in the BYO article from who knows when. I thought about draining the wort after 60 mins then adding the extra water with the acid malt then let it rest another 45 mins.. So it would have been like a sparge with acid awesomeness..

It actually came out tasting pretty solid, I just added 5lbs of fresh/frozen/thawed kiwi to it.

Anyone have an issue with efficiency using acid malt?? I did a Gose that was 3.6lb Pilsner and Wheat with 1.5lb of acid malt.. I mashed at 148 for 60 mins with the pils/wheat with about 3 gals then added 5 gallons and acid malt, mashed for another 45 mins. Target OG in BF was 1040 and I only hit 1030.. I've never missed a gravity that bad before. It was a 60 min boil.. Thanks!

What was the pre-boil wort pH?

Latest posts

Back