Goose Island threaded bottles for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfinger

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a twelver of Goose Island Honker's Ale and was hoping to use them for home brew after drinking. I noticed the top of the bottle is threaded, even though the caps aren't twist off. Should I stay away from these for bottling or do you think they would be okay?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I bought a twelver of Goose Island Honker's Ale and was hoping to use them for home brew after drinking. I noticed the top of the bottle is threaded, even though the caps aren't twist off. Should I stay away from these for bottling or do you think they would be okay?

Thanks!

Goose Island most certainly is twist off. You must just be a girly-man. :p

If you're looking for good beer around here, that isn't twist off, Bells works. New Belgium also works, but they have weird custom bottles with raised logos on the neck.

Ha! I will test out the girly-man theory by having my 9 year old daughter open the next one for me--if she can do it I will totally cave to your statement... If she wasn't at school I would leave work and have her do it now!

Thanks for the reply. Love Bells, and I do have a bunch of new Belgium that I use. I was bummed because I like the Honkers Ale but need more bottles so they are going to be off the buy list for a while...sigh...

I like Goose island. Fan of the Nut Brown and had some IPA that was great. But the threaded bottles sometimes makes me want to pass them up for some others. Strange because I keg, and have not bottled much the past year or so. But just in case.

But yeah, you should be able to crack one open unless you have been taking estrogen or something...

If you want some cheap bottles, see if you can hunt down a recycling center or bar that will allow you to buy clean empties from them. Here in MI I can buy all I want for 10 cents apiece. Another reason MI wins!

Goose Island is much better off the tap--if you ever get a chance you should visit them. I should definitely lay off the estrogen! I am itching to go home and try to twist a cap off, but I'm afraid I might hurt myself--I'll probably just go ahead and let my daughter do it for me......double sigh.....

Thanks for the tip on the recycling center--we don't have to deal with a deposit here which is cool. And as far as MI winning, I agree with you that it is a pretty great place--I spend some time in Pentwater and love it. Does MI have a professional baseball team? We don't either.....triple sigh...

there is a dude on craigslist thats selling bottles by the dozen cheap, in wheaton, i wish i was closer i need some bad! Let's Go White Sox!!!
search for homebrew

I occasionally get a threaded bottle to slip by, and I usually notice it about the time I'm pulling the bottle filer out of it. Honestly, I cap 'em up and hope for the best. Probably had 20 or 30 in the last year alone, and I never have had a problem, just drink them when the time comes......

I occasionally get a threaded bottle to slip by, and I usually notice it about the time I'm pulling the bottle filer out of it. Honestly, I cap 'em up and hope for the best. Probably had 20 or 30 in the last year alone, and I never have had a problem, just drink them when the time comes......

Thanks AviatorTroy...My last batch I had three of them and went ahead and capped them. I didn't have an issue either, but like an idiot I didn't realize they were the Goose bottles. I am surprised they use twist offs to be honest..doesn't seem like too many (if any) craft brewers use them.

there is a dude on craigslist thats selling bottles by the dozen cheap, in wheaton, i wish i was closer i need some bad! Let's Go White Sox!!!
search for homebrew

Sorry JNye, didn't use the quote function--I am going to craigslist next...thanks a ton for the tip...

Back