Good Yeast for High Temp fermentation of IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvestre

Reaction score
I am living in Mexico these days, and have just started brewing again, after many years hiatus. Last I brewed, I was living in Cleveland, so I am dealing with quite a difference in ambient temp. So far I have been brewing IPAs using WY1056, WY1272, S-05 and S-04. I have been getting pretty decent results with the exception of the S-04, which is a bit tart for my taste.

I have been using an old refrigerator to ferment in, though I don't turn it on; I just put coffee cans full of ice in the fridge while its really working hard to try to keep the temp down a bit. I usually manage to keep it in the 68-72F range. But, the ambient temp is about 75-78F where I am fermenting.

Is there a yeast that is suitable for a 75-78F temp range that works well for IPAs? I a know a Saison would love the ambient temps here, and I do love a Saison, which I intend to brew once I get some more strains of yeast down here at Christmas, but I would really like to get a good yeast for IPAs at this temp. I prefer an IPA with tropical and floral hop aroma, so a yeast that throws of some fruity esters is not a problem in my mind.

Any ideas?

Gracias, Amigos! Salud!

Back