Good Question? Hopefully

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeptrey

Reaction score
I want to brew up a Partial Mash Altbier, and on the batch wanted to do 2 things. I want to No Sparge brew this Partial Mash, but with that I also was wanting to First Wort Hop. Before I would just chunk the hops in the first pot while I was sparging in the second pot. Will I be able to fwh with a no sparge partial mash?

Would me just throwing the hops as I bring it up to boil be considered fwh?

Thanks for the help!

If doing a no sparge mash, I would add the hops at the end of the mash. Then based on your previous brews where you did sparge, take that time to let the hops sit. So if you normal sparge time is 40 minutes, let the hops sit without any heat for 40 minutes. Maybe add a slow stir every minute to simulate the current of the runnings.

Should have the same effect, based on the practice of FWH.

JoshJoshua said:
If doing a no sparge mash, I would add the hops at the end of the mash. Then based on your previous brews where you did sparge, take that time to let the hops sit. So if you normal sparge time is 40 minutes, let the hops sit without any heat for 40 minutes. Maybe add a slow stir every minute to simulate the current of the runnings. Should have the same effect, based on the practice of FWH.

Gonna give it a whirl tonight. We'll see how it turns out.

Back