Good pours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murppie

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been reading a lot on kegging, and enjoying my own kegerator. However, my question is really about first pours. I have a commercial kegerator (living in an apartment and they gave me a no-go on getting a second full-sized fridge) http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/HBF05EABB-2.shtml That is what I have.

My first pour is generally very foamy, but every pour after that is fine. Is this probably because the beer in the lines in the tower got warm overnight/during the day and thats causing my problems? The second/third/etc. pour is always awesome.

Thanks for the help people who know stuff :)

You are correct. The beer in your line/tower is not refrigerated so the CO2 easily diffuses out of the liquid when you pour.

A couple of things worth trying:

- on your first pour, dispense just a couple of ounces of beer, then let the cold beer cool down the lines and faucet for, say, 10 seconds or so, then continue filling your glass.

- or go for the mod: get a few feet of copper tubing just large enough to let you run the beer lines through. Cut the tubing so they extend down into the fridge as far as possible with the rest of their length stuffed up in the tower as far as you can get them to go. The copper will act as thermal conductors which will help keep the beer lines cooler...

Cheers!

Back