Good or Bad Idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed a 1 gallon batch of Chocolate Pumpkin Porter. I wasn't sure how much yeast to use but I did some snooping around on here and found out that it seemed ok to pitch an entire packet of dry yeast. So that's what I did.

I absolutely know that an air lock should NEVER be used to judge anything but this time around, I got some action for one day and that's it. I have never had that happen before.

Normally for all of my beers I let them sit in primary for 3 weeks. Is it ok to let only one gallon sit on the trub (?) for 3 weeks or will this cause off flavors?

Is it ok to pitch an entire packet of Safale S-04 into this 1 gallon batch?

One more thing, The batch was actually supposed to end being 1.25 gallons but I forgot and only topped off to 1 gallon in the fermenter. Will this effect the beer in anyway? Possibly giving it a stronger flavor?

Thanks!

Your good to pitch the entire packet, the more active healthy yeast cells the better. Yeast naturally duplicates itself until it runs out of sugar (food). Yeast will stop duplicating itself when a couple of factors occur, one: the alcohol content gets to high and becomes a toxic environment, two:there isn't enough oxygen in your wort, three: there isn't anymore food. When your fermentation is complete it is still advised to let it sit for a week or two in primary to let the yeast flocculate and settle to the bottom. It isn't surprising that your one gallon batch stopped bubbling through the airlock after one day, it depends on the amount of yeast you started with and sounded like enough to get the job done quick! Good luck with your beer

Not topping off to 1.25 gallons will increase the abv and create a slightly hoppier/stronger beer. I forgot to top off one time and the beer was great.

Latest posts

Back