GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I started watching Stranger Things before I went to sleep last night and had a crazy dream that I was fighting this powerful little kid and I was trying to throw an elbow but he or she was telekinetically keeping my elbow from moving until I finally broke free and threw it right into my wife's back! I woke up to 'Owwwww!' I have to be careful with that show before bed.

Finished up the first season of Penny Dreadful last night. I thought it was pretty good. Liked the characters for the most part. I'll keep watching the second season.

It took me 3 episodes to get into Stranger Things but now that I've finished watching it all, I miss it.
It was much better than I would have guessed by the description.

Yes! It kind of defies description but very suspenseful, great cast, and interesting premise.

Season 3 of Penny Dreadful gets to Netflix on Sept 17th. Looking forward to catching back up.

Then I'm going to need something new to tide me over. I tried Hemlock Grove, and after 2 episodes its just awful. I've gotten through Stranger Things, thought it was good.

Any suggestions?

What's Bloodline about? I've seen it mentioned but don't know anything about it.

I'm up to date on the Peaky F'ng Blinders. Great show.

"we're not bad people, but we did a bad thing"

as much as I love Bloodline - and Season 2 is good, too - it is slow. very slow, but it pays off

stick with it. I think it's worth it

they should have just given all the awards for TV to Ben Mendelsohn. all of them. even the technical ones. give them to him

as much as I love Bloodline - and Season 2 is good, too - it is slow. very slow, but it pays off

they should have just given all the awards for TV to Ben Mendelsohn. all of them. even the technical ones. give them to him

Watched the first 2 episodes last night, and I'm in. Really need to find out what the hell is going on here.

Watched the first 2 episodes last night, and I'm in. Really need to find out what the hell is going on here.

Sounds about right. After first episode I was still trying to figure out what the show was about. Second episode just barely gives you enough to pull you in for more, but you know you need to give it more time. By end of third episode, you'll be 100% committed.

Second season is very slow. We fell asleep during a few episodes and tapered off a couple months ago. Need to go back and finish it off.

Started watching Stranger Things. Not usually a fan of the genre, but it's well done.

Almost done with 1st season of Halt & Catch Fire.
Good story, good character development.

Any reco's for a good show to watch with the kids? Their between 6 and 9, but I should say that they are pretty sophisticated. Looking to avoid gratuitous violence, but they will be bored with the typical fair for their age range. Simpsons is a staple in our house, but I don't think they're ready for South Park/Family Guy type of stuff. Animated is not a requirement either. Not looking for crass/broad humor but something that might be a bit challenging for kids that age.

We just caught the first episode of Speechless last night. A new sitcom with Minnie Driver about a family with a child who is wheelchair bound and can't speak. They ate that up with a spoon. I thought it was refreshing.

Any reco's for a good show to watch with the kids? Their between 6 and 9, but I should say that they are pretty sophisticated.

Mine like Agent of SHIELD, Flash, Supergirl, Once Upon a Time, Young Justice, Justice League, H2O, Wolfblood, Clone Wars and Iron Chef but the violence in some of those might be more than you want.

I just got an email from Netflix saying that on Sept. 23, season 5 of Longmire will be on. It's a good show for a guy like me:)

Walked in on my wife watching Orphan Black.

Man is she scraping the bottom of the barrel!

Sad to say I was unable to repair our 2008 Samsung 46" LCD TV by replacing the capacitors on the PSU board again. I'm torn between spending money on a new TV with some upgraded features or buying a new(probably used) PSU. The PSU is $50. A new TV is likely going to be around $500+. I really don't mind the old TV, it still had a great picture and was a good size for the room. My only complaint was the 60Hz refresh, which wasn't great for hockey. I'm afraid to see what 4K tv's are running these days. I might want one.

No love for Orphan Black? I have heard great things and have enjoyed the first couple episodes. Does it go off the rails after the first season or two? Any reviews I have heard are from when the show fist came out, maybe the second season as well so the show might have soured since then. There are 4 or 5 seasons now?

No love for Orphan Black? I have heard great things and have enjoyed the first couple episodes. Does it go off the rails after the first season or two? Any reviews I have heard are from when the show fist came out, maybe the second season as well so the show might have soured since then. There are 4 or 5 seasons now?

I've heard good things about it, but it seems like it's not really her kind of show, and a bit old. I think she's just throwing anything on the screen at this point. It's not even WINTER yet!

I believe we are scheduled to watch Breaking Bad at some point this fall, once outside things are slowed down. I'm more of a comedy guy, but everyone says it's really good, so...

Season 3 of Penny Dreadful is up. 3 episodes in so far. It's ok, I expect it to get better.

Sad to say I was unable to repair our 2008 Samsung 46" LCD TV by replacing the capacitors on the PSU board again. I'm torn between spending money on a new TV with some upgraded features or buying a new(probably used) PSU. The PSU is $50. A new TV is likely going to be around $500+. I really don't mind the old TV, it still had a great picture and was a good size for the room. My only complaint was the 60Hz refresh, which wasn't great for hockey. I'm afraid to see what 4K tv's are running these days. I might want one.

Vizio 48" 4K Ultra HD at WalMart for $478.

I just had my 2008 mainboard repaired for 50 bucks. http://www.ebay.ca/sch/discountdescramblersdotcom/m.html There is a Youtube video out there that bakes the main board in the oven for 15 min. at 385f to reflow the solder joints.Are you sure it's the PSU board?
The link is to the Canadian Ebay site they have an USA site.

I just had my 2008 mainboard repaired for 50 bucks. http://www.ebay.ca/sch/discountdescramblersdotcom/m.html There is a Youtube video out there that bakes the main board in the oven for 15 min. at 385f to reflow the solder joints.Are you sure it's the PSU board?
The link is to the Canadian Ebay site they have an USA site.

I tried replacing the board with a new one. No go.

I got a TCL 55" 4K for $500. It's really nice for tie price. Integrated Roku, which I was leery of at first, but it's actually really nice as a TV interface compared to most of them. And a single remote for both tv and roku.

I may attempt to repair the old TV at some point. There are only 2-3 board on the whole thing.

Back