Good OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deason

Reaction score
Is 1055 going to be a strong brew? It's a dark coopers stout so I'm expecting great things!

Thats a shame I'm an Alcoholic..:)

Can I do anything to get the OG down a bit?

Sounds like it is likely too late to adjust your OG at this point (assuming that OG you posted was a reading you took of your wort). You would need to raise it to obtain a higher ABV in the end, basically more sugar in the wort. If you post the recipe you are brewing im sure plenty of people will have good suggestions on how to tweak it!

You increase your OG by adding more malt or boiling off water. You decrease it by adding more water.

Can I do anything to get the OG down a bit?

Although I never do either of these. To get the OG down, just boil and cool more water and dilute it. If you need it up, just add some boiled sugar (DME, honey, cane sugar, etc.). If you have DME, just use that. Again, I still wouldn't do it. When I first started brewing, I thought higher alcohol was better. Now, I brew completely for flavor/style with an average amount of alcohol. I only really check gravity readings to determine my fermentation. I log them, but sometimes I forget.

When I first started brewing, I thought higher alcohol was better. Now, I brew completely for flavor/style with an average amount of alcohol.

My problem is that everything I have has too much alcohol. I keep drinking commercial because I don't want to get trashed.

I've done an APA that came in at 5.8%, but apart from that, all the beers I made this year have been 8 or 9% (Belgians, Wee Heavy, Robust Porter, and more Belgians). Going to get down to making some reasonable strength Pale Ales.

Back