Good idea for a leftover beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remos112

Reaction score
Ok this might seem like a rather odd question, but my closet and fridge are getting fuller and fuller with leftovers from previous brews. What I would usually do is make up a recipe, order some, brew the beer, and be left with yet more ingredients. Anybody a good idea for an extract recipe?
My capicity is 21 L max, and I am limited to extract other then that I am up for anything. Ok here goes
Malts and fermentables:
-1 can Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.6kg LME
-1 can Wheat unhopped LME 1.5kg
-1kg extra light DME (I will keep buying these for yeast starters, but I am open for using it in a recipe.
-1 kg caramalt
-1 kg crystal malt

Hops:
-+/- 100 grams of Styrian Goldings pellets
-+/- 100 grams of Saaf pellets
-+/- 30 grams dried flowers
Spices and misc.:

+/- 70 grams of Coriander seeds
+/- 500 grams of cocoa nips

I don't have any yeast in storage, but will order one that goes good with a suggested recipe.

I really hope you guys can give me a push in the right direction and help me process some of these leftovers

Much thanks in advance!

I do not have an extract recipe but it generally uses pils and wheat malt. The light dme and wheat lme may work well. Lightly hopped refreshing beverage. May be able to use the pale extract and wheat also... Maybe more of an American wheat?

Thanks for the ideas, I think I've worked out a recipe and I would love to hear some opinions

Batch size 20L
Fermentables:
- 1.5 kg Wheat LME
- 0.5 kg Wheat DME/ extra light DME (which would be best suited?)
- 1L or 1.4kg clear candy syrup

Hops and spices
-30gr Styrian golding @45min
-30gr saaz @15min
-15gr Coriander seeds @15 min
-15gr Coriander seeds @0 min(into primary)
-15gr sweet orange peel @15 min
-15gr sweet orange peel @0 min(into primary)
Dry hop:
-30 gr Amarillo flowers

Yeast:
-Wyeast 3942

Est. OG 1051
Est. FG 1012
Est ABV. 5,19%

Would the Amarillo combined with oranges peels be overkill? Or will it compliment each other? Also I am open to any other suggestions/changes
Thanks in advance

Your grain bill seems like a nice match for a Belgian or a saison. I'd do a saison. Use 3711 yeast and your styrians and some saaz.

Your grain bill seems like a nice match for a Belgian or a saison. I'd do a saison. Use 3711 yeast and your styrians and some saaz.
Yeah the idea was based on some Belgian recipes I have read, I will look into the 3711 and leave the amerillo out, thanks for the suggestions!

And just to make your decision a bit harder, Sierra Nevada makes a beer only available in CA called Old Chico. They call it a "crystal wheat" but not sure if they mean crystal malts or crystal clear wheat beer(not a hefe, white,etc). Is definitely more crisp and clean than their pale ale. Maybe there's a clone recipe somewhere?

And just to make your decision a bit harder, Sierra Nevada makes a beer only available in CA called Old Chico. They call it a "crystal wheat" but not sure if they mean crystal malts or crystal clear wheat beer(not a hefe, white,etc). Is definitely more crisp and clean than their pale ale. Maybe there's a clone recipe somewhere?
Thanks alot for the input, I will look into that.
[edit]
From the looks of it it seems to be a clear wheat, given the pictures I can find, and I found an all grain recipe that didn't contain crystal malt, but it did use whirfloc tables, that's a clearing agent like Irish moss right?
I uses wyeast 1056(American ale) which makes sense as most wheat strains would cloud the bear.
Hmmmm decisions decisions...[/edit]

yes, whirlfloc is fining agent.

im assuming they named it crystal wheat as its not cloudy like a hefe or weisse/etc. that's been my assumption, but dont know for sure. it does make sense though. SN uses crystal malts in almost everything, but it definitely doesnt taste of crystal malts. very clean and crisp. if there are any, id say they'd be less than 3% of grain bill.

your hop profile will be different, as SN constantly uses C hops and other "west coast" varieties, but if you've never had the beer before then you're not really "cloning" per se, just using it a recipe base. so you can either mix the american yeast with your euro hops, or go all euro (maybe kolsch yeast + your euro hops) or go all american with the 1056 and some C hops like crystal, columbus, cascade, chinook, centennial, etc.

yes, whirlfloc is fining agent.

im assuming they named it crystal wheat as its not cloudy like a hefe or weisse/etc. that's been my assumption, but dont know for sure. it does make sense though. SN uses crystal malts in almost everything, but it definitely doesnt taste of crystal malts. very clean and crisp. if there are any, id say they'd be less than 3% of grain bill.

your hop profile will be different, as SN constantly uses C hops and other "west coast" varieties, but if you've never had the beer before then you're not really "cloning" per se, just using it a recipe base. so you can either mix the american yeast with your euro hops, or go all euro (maybe kolsch yeast + your euro hops) or go all american with the 1056 and some C hops like crystal, columbus, cascade, chinook, centennial, etc.

The point is this is a leftover beer, so getting new hops for this brew is not an option , I think I will go all euro on this brew. But this thread sure has given me some inspiration for future beers:tank:

ah, got it. you mentioned a bunch of amarillo in a recipe above, i thought you were open to purchasing a little something new.

yeah, in that case just go euro style. you can toss in a very small amount of crystal malt in there if you wanna go for just a touch of extra flavor, no more than 5%. but not necessary at all, totally optional.

ah, got it. you mentioned a bunch of amarillo in a recipe above, i thought you were open to purchasing a little something new.

yeah, in that case just go euro style. you can toss in a very small amount of crystal malt in there if you wanna go for just a touch of extra flavor, no more than 5%. but not necessary at all, totally optional.
I have both 3 hops in the freezer, as well as the other listed ingredients. I will buy new soon, as I have my Hoegaarden Verboden Vruchten clone (Garden of Eden) coming up soon, and I want to brew a barley wine after that. But this brew will primarily be for using the things gathered up brew after brew. Thanks for the input. Me recipe is almost ready and I will post in i a bit:)

Looks like you could make a hefeweissen.

Thanks for the input but I think I am going to brew this:
5 gallons/20 l
1.5kg wheat lme
1kg White candy syrup
0.5kg extra light DME
30gr Styran goldings 45min
30gr Saaz 15 min
15gr coriander 15 min
15gr corianddr 0 min
15gr sweet orange peel 15min
15gr sweet orange peel 0min

Est 260BL cells of Wyeast3711