good for sanitizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmy

Reaction score
has anyone used their dishwasher without soap (i.e. just hot water) to sanatize? i was thinking of doing that to get a good clean thru my siphon and tubing, just before throwing it into a no rinse solution

You'll never get the inside of the tubing clean that way. If you're going to toss it into a no-rinse sanitizer anyway, this seems wholly redundant even if your dishwasher will reach sanitization temperatures (not all will).

the_bird said:
You'll never get the inside of the tubing clean that way. If you're going to toss it into a no-rinse sanitizer anyway, this seems wholly redundant even if your dishwasher will reach sanitization temperatures (not all will).

right, but i would rather over sanatize then not......so no rinse should be fine huh? i will go with that

I just wash out my tubing after I'm done with it and let it soak in an Iodophone solution. I have a turkey baster that I'll use to shoot sanitizer through the tubing (racking canes, etc) so that I know it's getting full contact. The dishwasher won't hurt, but I don't think it's really going to do much additional good for you, either.

no such thing as over-sanitizing, either it IS sanitized, or it isn't.
I see no reason to use a dishwasher to heat sanitize, only to put it in star-san afterwards.
you are wasting time and money doing double duty here. a good sanitizer works well.

hell some people don't sanitize and have no infections.

clean first, immediately after using the equipment. sanitize right before use.

Soak in a no-rinse thru and thru should be fine, nothing more to add just my .00002 cents.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back