Good first AG recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wables

Reaction score
I am looking for a good recipe to get into the world of all grain brewing. I have done some batches with extract, and am working on my 36 qt. cooler. I am planning on batch sparges only at this point. Do you guys have any guidance on recipes to get me started? I am looking for an 'easy' pale or brown ale.

Also, all of the batches I have done have required seeping grains before the boil. How does that work with AG? Do I just include them in the mash?

I am boiling in a 40 quart turkey fryer, so volume shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

It depends what you like.

Best to take an established recipe with just 1 base malt and a couple of specialties.
Just got for 1 or 2 hop varieties with just 3 additions,

All grains go in the mash........

Basic method. (You need to be happy you have it in your head before you start.)

Add mash water and grain to mash tun.
Drain
Sparge.
Drain
Boil with hops.

If you are doing a single infusion mash(just rest at 152ish for 60 minutes before sparge) then its all gonna be relatively the same. 5-9 lbs base malt, then specialty grains of your choice

I did Papa Charlie's Good Life Pale Ale, very simple first AG (well, I really did it as a big partial mash, but same idea). Clean, simple, English pale ale. It's in Complete Joy (unfortunately, my copy has long since disappeared, or I would post it).

And yeah, steeping grains go in with all the other grains, mash them all together.

My first all-grain was simple english bitter from Papazian's first book. I still like to make it now and then. I think it's just 6-7 lbs of two-row and a 1/2 lb. or so of crystal 40 and some combination of fuggles and goldings hops...Single infusion held at about 154 for an hour....

8 lbs pale malt (preferrably Maris Otter, but others will be fine)
1 lb crystal 55 (or thereabouts)

Mash at 155 for 60 minutes
Sparge to collect 6.5 gallons
Boil for 75 minutes to reduce to 5.25 gallons

Hops:
2.5 oz 7% Northern brewer at 60 minutes
1.25 oz 5 %Fuggles at 30 minutes
1.25 oz 4.5% EKG at flame out

Yeast - Any highly flocculant English yeast.

Very tasty if you like hoppy English style beers.

You could use less or lighter colored crystal if you want an anaemic pale ale, and less or different hops for a less hoppy brew (I like that hopping schedule with whole hops, but it may be a bit too much for those with some taste buds still intact).

You could also use an American yeast for a flavor (as opposed to flavour) profile.

If it's your first AG attempt, it may be a good idea to have a few pounds of DME on hand to bump up the OG if the mash/sparge does not come out as well as you would wish.

Good luck

-a.

ajf said:
If it's your first AG attempt, it may be a good idea to have a few pounds of DME on hand to bump up the OG if the mash/sparge does not come out as well as you would wish.

Good luck

-a.

That is a great tip as I have no idea what my efficiency will be.

I have both the Palmer and Papazian books, but there are soooooo many recipe's in there.

Thanks for the help!

Something on from the dark side, so you can't stress on clarity.:) It's a good time of year for a stout.

Back