good deals on malted barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
I'm the kind of guy that likes to look for the tricks and the loopholes in search of the best deal. That being said, my attempts thus far at getting what I consider to be a deal on some bulk malted barley have been pretty much stuffed. The local HBS sold me a 50 # bag of 6 row for 48.00 and told me next time prices were going up. There is no local homebrew club to do a group buy, in fact I am the only person I know who brews beer. So I am sort of going at this alone. We've all seen how much shipping is for bulk items from the internet companies. I thought since I live in MT which is the second largest producer of barley in the US I could talk to a farmer directly, but I don't know any farmers and I would probably have to malt the grain myself. I don't want to give up but is there anyone with any tips on how to get grain cheaper?

Well, it doesn't sound like there are a lot of alternatives. I'll have to approach the local breweries and see if they will let me buy excess grain from them.

Latest posts

Back