Good Day / Bad Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompbox

Served up in the backyard
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bad:
Spilled probably 3~4 cups of wort on the floor while transfering from kettle to primary :drunk:. I stepped away for just one second to yell at the dog and the hose came out of the funnel at full flow and shot all over the place. :mad:

As result I had to replace the wated wort with water and my OG measured 1.050 instead of the projected 1.056. :mad:

last night I oven sterelized the bottles and the paper/adhesive gave off HORRIBLE odors, luckily it was cool enough out that I could open the windows last night. (Lesson learned, you really DO have to take the labels off!)

Good:
I got my first batch bottled, my second batch brewed, and I reused my yeast from the first batch to save money. The great news is started bubbling within an hour or two! :tank:

Oh not to mention that a leaf was in my wort. I dont know how long it was in the boil but i was surprised to see it when racking to primary! I guess that is a downfall of brewing in the fall.

What type of leaf? If it gives a great flavor you may have invented a new style.

I think that I would have just lost the little wort that was spilled and left it at that..
Yes, take the labels off before baking the bottles..
Nice call on reusing the yeast. I have harvested 3 varieties and reused one so far. It saves $6 - $10 dollars each time and gives me $ to spend on better ingredients or eventually more equipment.

Brew on!:rockin:

What type of leaf? If it gives a great flavor you may have invented a new style.

LOL, I thought of that. I am not sure, probably a hemlock though.

I think that I would have just lost the little wort that was spilled and left it at that..
Hmm, really? Is that standard practice? I realize it will lower my alcohol content by a bit, but I am not too worried about that.

Nice call on reusing the yeast. I have harvested 3 varieties and reused one so far. It saves $6 - $10 dollars each time and gives me $ to spend on better ingredients or eventually more equipment.

Thanks, I did not "harvest it" I just dumped on top of the cake from the batch I bottled today.

I need to read up and learn about harvesting yeast.

LOL, I thought of that. I am not sure, probably a hemlock though.

Sarcasm? If not, hemlocks are highly toxic and you'd do good to dump that.

Yeah, it seems like every brew requires one mishap from something like being cheap and not buying quick connects so you lose wort to a hose slip or you start playing COD and forget a hop addition.

Back