Good Cider Recipe for a beginner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
Okay I have been reading through the forums and most of the recipes I have found are for dry ciders. I would prefer to have a sweet cider as my final product. I just want something sweet and tasty with a decent alcohol concentration (And maybe something that is edible after a few months :) ). I don't need carbonation in my cider, but if it was carbonated I wouldn't mind. I will be making a run to my local shop soon and was wandering if I need to pick up any specific yeasts from your suggested recipes(I only have red star champagne yeast right now) . Any suggestions? thanks.

Edit: Until I have access to real cider in the fall I will be using store bought apple juice.

That looks like what I am looking for :). How many months until it tastes decent? Thanks.

I finished making my first batch of this the end of January. In the beginning of March, I entered a contest with it and took first place. :D

Edit: Also, do you think I could do part one in a 6 gallon fermenting bucket and then just siphon that into a 6 gallon carboy? Thanks.

Normally for secondary, you want to watch how much headspace you leave. But since it is only for 24 hours in secondary with this recipe, I don't really see a problem.

I finished making my first batch of this the end of January. In the beginning of March, I entered a contest with it and took first place. :D

Normally for secondary, you want to watch how much headspace you leave. But since it is only for 24 hours in secondary with this recipe, I don't really see a problem.

Thanks and congrats on the competition :rockin:

One more quick question you recommend stove top pasteurizing. Why is this better than cold crashing? Cold crashing seems so much easier, but some people said they can't give it away as gifts if they cold crashed it. Does that mean cold crashing has negative effects? Thanks.

Edit: Also just rechecked. Turns out the bucket I am getting is 6.5 gallons and my carboy is only six... Will the extra air in the initial bucket be a problem?

One more quick question you recommend stove top pasteurizing. Why is this better than cold crashing? Cold crashing seems so much easier, but some people said they can't give it away as gifts if they cold crashed it. Does that mean cold crashing has negative effects? Thanks.

Stove top pasteurization kills the yeast and stops fermentation. Cold crashing makes the yeast go dormant. Let the bottles warm up, fermentation continues.

Edit: Also just rechecked. Turns out the bucket I am getting is 6.5 gallons and my carboy is only six... Will the extra air in the initial bucket be a problem?
That should not be a problem for primary fermentation. It will be pumping out lots of CO2 in this phase and the cider will be protected.

Stove top pasteurization kills the yeast and stops fermentation. Cold crashing makes the yeast go dormant. Let the bottles warm up, fermentation continues.

That should not be a problem for primary fermentation. It will be pumping out lots of CO2 in this phase and the cider will be protected.

Thanks.

UpstateMike said:

Hi, would the caramel syrup work when bottling a black rock kit cider, I know I know but I promised my wife I'd make a cider and bought this kit before my AG equip arrived. This recipe sounds tasty and would love it I could work it :) I'll chance it anyway and see how it goes

Back