Good books on the history of brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilfawlty

Reaction score
I know there's great books people recommend here often, but they only scratch the surface of the history of brewing. Is there a good, go-to book on the history of brewing I should get?

I found a lot of great historical information in Radical Brewing. It's the first book that I recommend to people who are interested in the overall history of brewing because it covers many different aspects and areas. There might be better books but I've read quite a few and it's my favorite in this respect.

To really dig into the history of specific styles I would recommend the Brewer's Publications various Style books. For Belgian Beer history, I would highly recommend Brew Like a Monk.

Brewing Classic Styles Series. Sorry, it is not a single book, but each provides history of the style.

+2 on the Mitch Steel book. Not only a great history but some great info on brewing period. Also, consider "The Audacity of Hops". Great history of the craft beer movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 fort the audacity of hops. In the middle of it right now and it's really interesting. I need to pick up Mitch Steele s book

Designing Great Beers by Daniels is not only an excellent receipe design book, but contains lots of relevant history on different styles...including an analysis of characteristics of historic styles.

GF sent me a link to an interesting read on "gruit" recently:

http://www.gaianstudies.org/articles6.htm

I'm about half way through audacity of hops. Good book. It is great fun to read about all the start ups and how they came to be. It is also amazing how supportive the brewing industry (craft brew) is. Amazing for so many breweries trying to gain market share to be so helpful to new brewers. Still seems to be that way today as well.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I second that on Michael Jackson's books. Great Beers of Belgium is an excellent look at all styles of Belgian beers, and a great "coffee table" book to have around. Would also recommend Brew Like a Monk.

Here are two that I bought on Amazon recently:

"The Theory and Practice of Brewing" written by Michael Combrune in 1804. It is the first scientific brewing text.

"Beer in America the Early Years -- 1587 to 1840" by Gregg Smith

Here are two that I bought on Amazon recently:

"The Theory and Practice of Brewing" written by Michael Combrune in 1804. It is the first scientific brewing text.

"Beer in America the Early Years -- 1587 to 1840" by Gregg Smith

+1 to Beer in America, it's a great read. I can also vouch for the classic style series installments of Scotch Ale (Greg Noonan) and Pale Ale (Not sure who the author is, some English fellow)

All of the above books are good reads. I also enjoyed Pete brown's books: Hops and Glory, Man Walks into a Pub and Three Sheets to the Wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 to Beer in America, it's a great read. I can also vouch for the classic style series installments of Scotch Ale (Greg Noonan) and Pale Ale (Not sure who the author is, some English fellow)

Terry Foster. He also wrote the Porter book in the series.

I found a lot of great historical information in Radical Brewing. It's the first book that I recommend to people who are interested in the overall history of brewing because it covers many different aspects and areas. There might be better books but I've read quite a few and it's my favorite in this respect.

To really dig into the history of specific styles I would recommend the Brewer's Publications various Style books. For Belgian Beer history, I would highly recommend Brew Like a Monk.

I 2nd this, both great books!

Home Brewing: A complete guide on how to brew beer. 1st chapter goes over the history of brewing in most 1st world countries

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back