Good basic pH meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
I've tried the ol pH strips for measuring my mash pH and they seem basically worthless. Looking into cheap basic pH meter and there are several under $20. Any recommendation? Will these work or do I need to spend some more substantial dough?

As one who also only has strips and realizes I need a meter, and is also on a major budget - as I understand it, no. The ones that people here recommend tend to be over $100. I will be excited to eat crow if somebody can recommend a good one for a budget...

These are the ones I've been looking at. The first is +/-0.1 which some highly knowledgeable folks around here say is virtually useless. The second is +/-0.01 which is significantly better. I've come really close to pulling the trigger on the 1st one a couple of times because of the price but talk myself out of it. I'll try to hold out for the better one... but is a more accurate pH meter better than no pH meter? BTW, I tried one of the cheap ones and it was so erratic it was completely useless.

Apera Instruments AI209 PH20 Value Waterproof pH Pocket Tester, ±0.1 pH Accuracy, 0-14.0 pH Range, Complete Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOHN8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Apera Instruments PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester, Replaceable Probe, ±0.01 pH Accuracy, -2.00-16.00 pH Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOIQE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the Milwaukee MW102, and i had $20 meters before, they ARE indeed useless.

My advice is, just bite the bullet and get a good one, buying a $20 meter will do no good.

I have used these since February or at least one of them as I haven't opened one yet. I've tested it twice with the buffer solutions that came with it and neither time did it require adjustment. It has ATC and shows 2 decimal places. If I get a year or 24 brews out of each I'll be happy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IOL5A60/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I paid $29.95 for two so the price has dropped $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
How often do the Milwaukee probes go out? They aren't cheap in and of themselves.

I had a Milwaukee meter and after going through a couple of probes I'll never have another. I am currently using an Extech PH100 and find it very reliable and consistent. I calibrate at the start of my monthly brew session and sometimes don't even bother pushing the "cal" button as it's still within tolerance from the last session. It's a year old now and still using the probe it came with.

When I use the meter I keep it standing in a little storage solution and always rinse it in tap water before and after each use. I keep the little sponge in the storage cap wet with storage solution. Other than that, nothing special.

One last thing: I only make room temperature measurements.

What I did was purchase two of 'the cheap ebay meters'. Like these ones http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dr-Meter-Che...326481?hash=item2a85421351:g:pgIAAOSwKrhVahPH

and compared them to a meters we use at work, and I also purchased buffer solutions. To test and verify. I was supprized the meters were spot on! I treat them very well, ie storage solution, careful handling, cleaning with distilled water, and put back in solution right after use.

I'm probably going to get some hate from this but IMO the $100+ meters aren't worth it for our brewing purposes. Not trying to show boat, but I'm a Instrument Control Engineering Technologist with 7 years in the field and I have access to pH meters and transmitters that cost thousands. I have found the cheapo's from ebay do the job despite what others I find have said about them. I like them.

What I did was purchase two of 'the cheap ebay meters'. Like these ones http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dr-Meter-Che...326481?hash=item2a85421351:g:pgIAAOSwKrhVahPH

and compared them to a meters we use at work, and I also purchased buffer solutions. To test and verify. I was supprized the meters were spot on! I treat them very well, ie storage solution, careful handling, cleaning with distilled water, and put back in solution right after use.

I'm probably going to get some hate from this but IMO the $100+ meters aren't worth it for our brewing purposes. Not trying to show boat, but I'm a Instrument Control Engineering Technologist with 7 years in the field and I have access to pH meters and transmitters that cost thousands. I have found the cheapo's from ebay do the job despite what others I find have said about them. I like them.

Yours look exactly like the ones I linked to above that I bought on Amazon so you'll get no hate from me. :)

Hey, I am with you 100%....no hate from me. I went this route and thought the meter was fine until it displayed all 888's and flat died. I replaced with a Hach meter so I could hope for longevity and durability which I have gotten for 2+ years now.

BUT, with all this being said, I don't use the meter nearly as much as I envisioned. I use Bru'n Water and let the program manage my chemistry as double checked by the Hach. After a few dozen times being spot on, I don't bother to pull the meter out nearly as often as I thought. I do kettle soured Gose beers every so often, so that's where my ph meter earns its keep.

Hey, I am with you 100%....no hate from me. I went this route and thought the meter was fine until it displayed all 888's and flat died. I replaced with a Hach meter so I could hope for longevity and durability which I have gotten for 2+ years now.

BUT, with all this being said, I don't use the meter nearly as much as I envisioned. I use Bru'n Water and let the program manage my chemistry as double checked by the Hach. After a few dozen times being spot on, I don't bother to pull the meter out nearly as often as I thought. I do kettle soured Gose beers every so often, so that's where my ph meter earns its keep.

I think you're on the right track, with letting software do the work for you then just double checking, and maybe make some slight adjustments. I'm imputing everything into BS and adjusting from that, but finding easier said then done.

I think you're on the right track, with letting software do the work for you then just double checking, and maybe make some slight adjustments. I'm imputing everything into BS and adjusting from that, but finding easier said then done.

I have always used BS for recipe building, and while I knew the water profile tool existed there, I used Bru'n Water for chemistry management. Only recently did I start messing around with the BS water tool only to find I like it very much. I now use both and glad I have two programs to balance off each other.

Of course it all starts with a solid water report and dependable values to begin the process.

Latest posts

Back