Gonna try no-chill...but questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
I’m thinking of trying no-chill as a way to save water, shorten the day, etc.

Check me on this though...

Can I do:
1) Whirlpool
2) Pump to corny about 4.5 gallons
3) seal corny and hit with 20 psi of CO2 to counter vacuum of cooling wort
4) next day pitch yeast in same corny, add fermcap, shake, add blowoff
5) next day add spunding
6) wait
7) transfer to serving keg...unless I make the fermenter the serving keg the same with the use of a floating dip tube?

Am I missing anything?

I brewed yesterday and chilled down to 62 degrees in 23 min with 3-4 gallons of water. I use an old cooler and a $48 utility pump to circulate ice water through my immersion chiller. Before brew day I make 2 blocks of ice (in milk jugs) and a couple batches of ice cubes from my refrigerator ice maker. When I start my 60 min boil I put 3-4 gallons of water in the cooler with the milk jug ice blocks to start cooling it down. At 30 min and 45 min into the boil I add one of the batches of ice cubes. At flame out I start chilling and the temp drops very fast. I can even cool a little faster if I run the garden hose through the chiller for the first 5 min to keep the warmest water out of the cooler but that is optional.

There would be no reason for me to consider no chill.

Last edited:
I have done about 40 batches of no chill beer fermented in my corny keg. I typically make 2.5-3 gallon batches. I use to purge the headspace with co2 after transferring the hot wort to the keg, but now I just pour it in hot and seal with the lid. I have never had any issues with the keg buckling with the hot wort. I haven't noticed any difference in taste between purging with co2 or not.

I ferment under pressure using a simple red pressure release valve rated for 10-12 psi that I got from picobrew. I also use a jumper tube with 2 black liquid outposts to transfer from fermenting keg to serving keg. You could also probably get by with using a float tube to serve from the fermenting keg but there might be some left over Krausen on it.

Hope this info helps!

Back