golden raspberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miloa

Reaction score
Have not logged on quite a while, but i finally got my 2nd wine making season going. 1st season was alot of fun,but i had one failure, my big apple wine i was trying to hit 28% and tried all the wrong ways to do it. Another wine, blueberry-apple i tried to hit 22% and it stopped early and tasted like crap but after 6 months of setting the corner it tastes pretty good now kinda like blueberry pucker, it finished at 18% (sweet and tasty). I was hoping to make peach wine but trees got frosted in spring, no peaches. Sooo my first wine of the season is raspberry and it is going great. I used 10 quarts berries, 10#s sugar and filled to 5 gallons. Just racked into secondary,after juicing berries,it looked like 1 quart not 10 quarts and i only had to add a little over a quart of water to fill back to 5 gals and it tastes good. Starting a 2nd batch if i get enough berries.

golden raspberry sounds amazing.
question for you--how were you planning on hitting 28%? fortifying with booze? I'm not aware of any yeast that can tolerate that much alcohol

You didn't ask for a recipe critique, so I won't give one except to say that 10-12 pounds of raspberries is pretty light. That's only my guess as to how much a quart of raspberries weigh, though.

Picking berries is a huge pain, so I always follow a guideline to get where I need to go to have a nice wine. I would use 3 pounds of berries per gallon, and only use the sugar to get to the correct OG for the batch. I love reading Jack Keller's information on different wines from wild plants, and especially like this page: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/plants.asp He also has a couple of really good recipes for raspberry wine that I'd recommend. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/redrasp.asp

you must be thinking i put 10 pints of berries in 5 gals, no i used quarts more like 20 lbs maybe a touch over. I'll let you know how it turns out, oh yeah i forgot to say i used wild yeast, had great luck with it so far.

Sorry missed the first queston, i was going to use a ninja yeast good to around 24% or even a distillers yeast but i failed to use either properly, beginners mistake.

Latest posts

Back