golden raspberry wine

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

miloa

Reaction score
Have not logged on quite a while, but i finally got my 2nd wine making season going. 1st season was alot of fun,but i had one failure, my big apple wine i was trying to hit 28% and tried all the wrong ways to do it. Another wine, blueberry-apple i tried to hit 22% and it stopped early and tasted like crap but after 6 months of setting the corner it tastes pretty good now kinda like blueberry pucker, it finished at 18% (sweet and tasty). I was hoping to make peach wine but trees got frosted in spring, no peaches. Sooo my first wine of the season is raspberry and it is going great. I used 10 quarts berries, 10#s sugar and filled to 5 gallons. Just racked into secondary,after juicing berries,it looked like 1 quart not 10 quarts and i only had to add a little over a quart of water to fill back to 5 gals and it tastes good. Starting a 2nd batch if i get enough berries.

sfyeti

Reaction score
golden raspberry sounds amazing.
question for you--how were you planning on hitting 28%? fortifying with booze? I'm not aware of any yeast that can tolerate that much alcohol

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You didn't ask for a recipe critique, so I won't give one except to say that 10-12 pounds of raspberries is pretty light. That's only my guess as to how much a quart of raspberries weigh, though.

Picking berries is a huge pain, so I always follow a guideline to get where I need to go to have a nice wine. I would use 3 pounds of berries per gallon, and only use the sugar to get to the correct OG for the batch. I love reading Jack Keller's information on different wines from wild plants, and especially like this page: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/plants.asp He also has a couple of really good recipes for raspberry wine that I'd recommend. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/redrasp.asp

OP
M

miloa

Reaction score
you must be thinking i put 10 pints of berries in 5 gals, no i used quarts more like 20 lbs maybe a touch over. I'll let you know how it turns out, oh yeah i forgot to say i used wild yeast, had great luck with it so far.

OP
M

miloa

Reaction score
Sorry missed the first queston, i was going to use a ninja yeast good to around 24% or even a distillers yeast but i failed to use either properly, beginners mistake.