Golden Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMeeko

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to recreate a Whiskey Barrel Aged Golden Imperial Stout from this brewery I like. I put this recipe together which I think is close to the original without knowing the actual recipe.

Can anyone give me any feedback or idea of how they think this brew will turnout? Thank you!

Fermentables (14 lb)
  • 6 lb - 60 min - Boil - Pale Ale DME 6 °L (42.9%)
  • 6 lb - 30 min - Boil - Sparkling Amber 8.3 °L...
  • 1 lb - 30 min - Boil - Candi Syrup, Golden 4....
  • 1 lb - Steep - Oats, Flaked 1.3 °L (7.1%)
Hops
  • (1 oz) 60 min - 1 oz - Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ)...
Miscellaneous
  • Primary - 2 oz - Roasted Chickory Root
  • Primary - 3 oz - Roasted Cacao Nibs
  • Primary - 2 oz - Roasted Coffee Beans
  • Secondary - 2 oz - Oak Chips, Whiskey Barrel
Yeast
  • 2 pkg - Fermentis SafAle English Ale S-04

A Golden Imperial Stout is more of novelty marketing ploy.

It looks like more of an amber ale infused chicory, cacao nibs, coffee beans and oak barrel chips.

With all of your additions, I feel that each will just get muddled, with nothing being dominant.

I would drop the chicory, and the secondary w/oak chips.
That way you will end up with a chocolate coffee amber.
I really don't know how that will work out but many people try combinations that I feel are odd and they enjoy them.

But don't let me rain on your parade, go ahead and give it a try, it may turn out to be awesome, and if you can always brew again and adjust as you see fit.

How familiar are you with amber extract? I ask because that’s what I’d drop on a color concern alone. When I brewed extract, EVERYTHING was 4-5 SRM darker than expected (even with all the extract tricks). I’d wager this will be amber/ruby/light brown, not golden.

How familiar are you with amber extract? I ask because that’s what I’d drop on a color concern alone. When I brewed extract, EVERYTHING was 4-5 SRM darker than expected (even with all the extract tricks). I’d wager this will be amber/ruby/light brown, not golden.

Not super familiar I'm looking to get in the 7-13 range if possible.

A Golden Imperial Stout is more of novelty marketing ploy.

It looks like more of an amber ale infused chicory, cacao nibs, coffee beans and oak barrel chips.

With all of your additions, I feel that each will just get muddled, with nothing being dominant.

I would drop the chicory, and the secondary w/oak chips.
That way you will end up with a chocolate coffee amber.
I really don't know how that will work out but many people try combinations that I feel are odd and they enjoy them.

But don't let me rain on your parade, go ahead and give it a try, it may turn out to be awesome, and if you can always brew again and adjust as you see fit.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm actually cloning a local brewery's recipe of my favorite beer the best I can. I think theirs ends up on the more amber side, but I'm new and could be wrong. I know they use chicory, cacao nibs, and coffee beans, and then aged them in bourbon barrels so I was trying my best to recreate it that way. I may just go for it and if it is a mistake it is something to learn from!

when i was brewing extract i exclusively used the lightest DME i could then added flavor and color with steeping grains. Take this with a grain of salt but if i were trying to do what you're doing i would only use pale DME. Amber extract is not in line with what youre trying to accomplish. If you're truly going for a golden stout, youre not going to get there with amber extract.

when i was brewing extract i exclusively used the lightest DME i could then added flavor and color with steeping grains. Take this with a grain of salt but if i were trying to do what you're doing i would only use pale DME. Amber extract is not in line with what youre trying to accomplish. If you're truly going for a golden stout, youre not going to get there with amber extract.

Thank for the tips! I'll make some changes to the recipe.

Matt, the only question I have is the golden candy syrup, this will usually thin out a beer, and with the golden stouts I have had all seem thicker rather than thinner. Not sure how to get that into the beer, but I wouldn't use the candy syrup when trying to do a stout. Good luck :mug:

Back