Going to Vermont: Brewery Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturie

Reaction score
I'm planning a short 4-day vaca to Vermont the week of July 4th because I need to use up a free plane ticket before it expires. Definitely plan on hitting Long Trail, Harpoon and Magic Hat breweries.

Any other suggestions? Majority of my stay will be in Burlington.

American Flatbread in Burlington has very good beers and pizza - it's always crowded. The alchemist is supposed to be very good. I've been to Long Trail, I like their beers but the brew pub (if you can call it that) is nothing special.

Cheers,
Glenn

Rock Art Brewery is right outside of Burlington. Harpoon also has a brewery in VT that is south of Burlington. Both would be very good visits IMO.

I second American Flatbread, we really loved that place. Great (and interesting) pizza and beers. Also, if you want to take any beer back with you, hit up the co-op (City Market) on S. Winooski near College St. Good selection of beers, and you can always wrap up at least 2-3 22 oz bottles in your clothes and put them in your suitcase (maybe pack Ziplocs just in case). Wish I were going, I love Burlington!:mug:

American Flatbread in Burlington has very good beers and pizza - it's always crowded.

This is the place to go. Vermont's beer really isn't very good, compared to even the rest of New England, but American Flatbread is a world-class pizza joint. Spend your time there focusing on the amazing food, but don't get too involved with the beer scene; look for top imports from the Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts breweries.

It's worth noting that even when you tried to name 3 decent breweries, one of them (Harpoon) is out of state. And Magic Hat and Long Trail are both fine, but neither's going to introduce you to a really cool, innovative new beer--compare to Portsmouth in New Hampshire, Allagash, Maine Brewing Co, or Geary's in Maine, or plenty of other New England breweries that really make awesome, innovative new beers--Vermont simply can't compete with that. The beer drinking scene there is strong enough that I'm guessing they'll have some great breweries soon, but so far they don't. Drink the regional imports while you're there, and view the local stuff for what it is--good, but nothing fantastic.

That said, Vermont has by far the best pizza north of New Haven, and the top joints (Flatbread at the top of the list) are really worth a visit. There's nothing in Maine or New Hampshire that really approaches that. Take the state for what it offers!

Used to live there. Whatever you do - stay away from Mexican food there. They are a lot of great restaurants, but the mexican stuff there is awful.

Being from Vermont and having visited most of the breweries in the state I would say...

Alchemist - Good food and good beers. Its a brew pub with no take out beer. In Waterbury which is about 30 minutes from Burlington.

American Flatbread - Great food and great beers. They have specialty pizzas baked in a wood fired oven. They always have great beers they brewed and a selection of other craft brews on tap. Right in downtown Burlington. No take out beer.

Bobcat Cafe - Great food and good beers. Food is a little fancier then most brew pubs I have been to. Bristol is a hole in the wall town about 45 minutes from Burlington. No take out beer.

Harpoon - One of the ones I haven't been to. 1 hour 45 minutes from Burlington.

Hill Farmstead Brewery - I know nothing about this one as they just opened a couple of weeks ago. About and hour and 40 minutes from Burlington and your could see the state capital of Vermont on the way...Yippe...Big gold dome and the only state capital in the country without a McDonald's.

Larson's Liquids - I don't know how the beer is I haven't had any yet, but it is a very small brewery that sells their beer at one general store in Warren and at a farmers market in Waitsfield (I believe). Warren and Waitsfield are about an hour and 15 mintues from Burlington.

Long Trail - Good beer and good food. One of my favorite Vermont breweries but it might just be because its one that I have been drinking forever. Nice brewery and brew pub. Overhead walkway lets you look down on the brew floor with wall descriptions of the brew process. Approximately 2 hours from Burlington. (Fairly close to Harpoon so you could catch both together.) Growlers, bottles and kegs available.

Madison Brewing Co. - Great beer and great food. I was just there this past weekend. We had a great dinner and enjoyed their beer sampler...7 4oz samples for $8. Talked with someone (maybe the owner) and he was very nice and willing to talk about their brewing process. One of the best breweries in the state. 3 hours from Burlington. Growlers available.

Magic Hat - So so Beer and no food. I used to like Magic Hat but they have gone downhill in my and a lot of my beer drinking friends' opinions. They are a Vermont staple brewery so its worth a trip but they currently have very few beers I enjoy. 10 minutes from Burlington. Growlers and bottles available.

McNeils Brewery - Very Good Beer basically no food. Based on what I saw this weekend they are a hole in the wall brewery. Had a bar that was very low key. To appetizers for food which I believe both just got thrown in the microwave. Deadhorse IPA and Amarillo Brillo were both very good beers. 3 hours from Burlington (about and hour from Madison which can make a 7 hours loop back to Burlington). No take out beer I am aware of available at the brewery but bottles are available at local grocery stores.

Norwich Inn Brewery - Good beer and good food. Small inn in a small town. About and hour and 45 minutes from Burlington (Somewhat near Long Trail and Harpoon) Bottles available as I recall.

Otter Creek Brewing - Very good beer and no food. Very nice brewery although not a whole lot to do/see. About 45 minutes from Burlington. Bottles, growlers and kegs available.

Rock Art Brewery - So so beer and no food. In all fairness to Rock Art they have some really good "Extreme" series beers but I am not a fan of their regular beer. Owners/workers are VERY friendly and willing to chat. Not a whole lot to see. About an hour from Burlington. Bottles, growlers and kegs available.

The Shed Brewery - Great beers and good food. The bar area is your typical brew pub type area. In a ski town although it may not feel as touristy in July. Near Mt Mansfield, Vermont's tallest mountain. Driving through "Smuggler's Notch" is a nice drive. About an hour from Burlington. Growlers available.

Switchback Brewery - Good beer and no food. I haven't been there yet. I believe they do tours are 1:00 on Saturday afternoons and that is it. I have read good things about the tours. Right in Burlington. No take out beer available to the best of my knowledge.

Three Needs - Very good beer not sure if they have any food. Somewhat of a dive bar in Burlington. I was not expecting anything good when I went there however they had an excellent nitrogen porter on tap. I haven't been back to see what else they have because it is not my type of hang out place. Right in Burlington. No take out beer available.

Trapp Family Lodge Brewery - Just opened so I have no information. Trapp Family Lodge is a very well known lodge in Vermont related to the Von Trapp family (think Sound of Music). About and hours from Burlington. Its in Stowe about 5 minutes from The Shed.

Trout River - Poor beer and so so food. In my opinion this is the bottom of Vermont's breweries and is not worth the trip. Small brewery with a pizza joint attached that is only open on Friday & Saturday nights. 1 hour 45 minutes from Burlington (about 45 past Rock Art). No take out beer I recall but you can buy bottle in the local grocery stores.

Vermont Pub & Brewery - Good Beer and Good Food. Standard brew pub with pub fare. ESB was quite good as I recall. Right in Burlington (200 yds from Flatbread). Growlers to go I believe.

Well I believe that is all of brewery options in Vermont. Hope you enjoy your visit. Let me know if you have any other questions. :mug:

Madison Brewing Co. - Great beer and great food. I was just there this past weekend. We had a great dinner and enjoyed their beer sampler...7 4oz samples for $8. Talked with someone (maybe the owner) and he was very nice and willing to talk about their brewing process. One of the best breweries in the state. 3 hours from Burlington. Growlers available.

:mug:

I neglected Madison on my first post. What a blunder ! We stop there every single time we get to Vermont. Make it a point to come in via Bennington so you stop by

Cheers,
Glenn

Make sure you have some Switchback ale when you're up there. Most of the bars have it on tap, and it is only available in keg (although I heard they bottle around Christmas sometimes). Switchback is a great beer, I wish they distributed it.

Hey folks, just got back. I managed to hit several places on the list (Otter Creek, Long Trail, American Flatbread and Vermont Pub and Brewery). I have to say that American Flatbread is FABULOUS. One of the best IPAs I've ever had. They also had a Rye IPA that was excellent. Definitely a type I'm going to have to try. Food was also to die for.

Vermont Pub was pretty good. Kind of a run-of-the-mill IPA, but their ESB was very good. It was so stinkin hot up there that I couldn't pound down a bunch of beers.

Long Trail was also very good. No AC, so I didn't do the tour. People were going upstairs and running back down soaked in sweat. Nice IPA, decent Pale Ale, good food.

Otter Creek is really small--were there for 15 minutes. Tours on weekends only, nice young lady kept pouring me samples so I tried them all. Nothing memorable except that I hated their White....but I'm not a Wit/coriander fan.

Again, thanks for the great suggestions!!!

Magic Hat, Magic Hat, Magic Hat. Such a fun little brewery and their samples are pretty generous.

*edit*
I was too late.

Nice little piece of history, too; the black IPA was invented there.

That's interesting but I want proof.

Thanks for the update!!! Not too many people do that I'm in mass, planning a trip up to vermont soon.

And to those who dont think Long Trail is "legit", or have anything "interesting", find their brewmaster series.... why none of them are the best ever (i.e., their double ipa doesnt top dog fish head or pliny), it's still quite tasty and among the best.

But great update on the pizza place, I'll be there in late summer for sure.

That's interesting but I want proof.

http://hillfarmstead.com/wpblog/2009/11/23/a-quiet-return-home/ has a nice post by Shaun Hill talking about it. Excerpt:

Just a few weeks back I was contacted by Mitch Steele (brewmaster of Stone Brewing Co.) because back in the spring of 2006 he had tasted his ‘first’ black ipa – Darkside from The Shed Brewery. He is conducting some research into the India Pale Ale category and I had to inform him that my own inspiration for the beer had come from Kimmich at the Alchemist… whose own inspiration had come from brewing Blackwatch IPA at Vermont Pub and Brewery in the mid 90s… a recipe that John had ‘resurrected’ from Noonan’s archives from the early days at VPB.

If you google "Greg Noonan black IPA" or "Greg Noonan Cascadian IPA" you'll get lots of hits; by most accounts, his early 90s (maybe late 80s, I'm not sure) brews were the first ones in the style. You can trace most of the early northwestern examples back to brewers who either moved from Vermont or worked with northeastern brewers, and by the time the style got going out west it was very well established in the northeast, with lots of breweries making commercial examples on a regular basis.

Somewhat off topic but if anyone is in/near Burlington this weekend there is the fairly large brewfest. I've been going for 5 years now and there is always a great showing of brewers from all over. Mmm...already can't wait.

I think I'll have to make a point to go up through Bennington after seeing the reviews for the Madison Co. brewery, never been there yet.

http://hillfarmstead.com/wpblog/2009/11/23/a-quiet-return-home/ has a nice post by Shaun Hill talking about it. Excerpt:

If you google "Greg Noonan black IPA" or "Greg Noonan Cascadian IPA" you'll get lots of hits; by most accounts, his early 90s (maybe late 80s, I'm not sure) brews were the first ones in the style. You can trace most of the early northwestern examples back to brewers who either moved from Vermont or worked with northeastern brewers, and by the time the style got going out west it was very well established in the northeast, with lots of breweries making commercial examples on a regular basis.

Cool thanks

If you're in the neighborhood of Middlebury (and, yes, I tend to forget that everything in New England is sort of "in the neighborhood" to us Midwesterners), let it be:

http://www.ottercreekbrewing.com/brewery/history.html

You won't regret it!

Otter Creek was OK. They only do tours on Saturday, but the nice young lady was VERY liberal in providing samples. I now proudly attach the key to my brand new Camry to an Otter Creek bottle opener keychain :mug:

Didn't care for their White, but I'm not a big fan of coriander in my beer, so that was me and not them.

Hope the weather is better for the brewfest this weekend--brutally hot up there.

I love me some long trail. Double Bag is a good freaking beer IMO.

Wow, this thread popped up at the right time. I will be in VT at the end of August and now have an idea of places to go and see.

Back