Going to Munich and brussels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike11b82

Reaction score
Ok so this summer I’m going to Munich and Brussels for 3 days each in the summer for my honeymoon. I want to go to a few breweries/ brew pub / awesome bars and need some reconditions.

Spaten is in Munich, and Weihenstephan is very close to Munich. Those would be up there on my list to visit.

All of the above, and then some......Munich has far too many good places to reduce to a list of two or three. Just off the top of my head, the Schneider Weisse restaurant (very near to city hall) was great both for beer and food.

Andechs is awesome, definitely a must see. Skip the Hofbraeuhaus unless you want to go for historic reasons.

All of the above, and then some......Munich has far too many good places to reduce to a list of two or three. Just off the top of my head, the Schneider Weisse restaurant (very near to city hall) was great both for beer and food.

+1 on the Schneider Weisse restaurant. Great food, great beer.:mug:

The Hofbrauhaus is a tourist trap, but worth seeing once just for the historical value.

Was in Munich last September...stayed at Freising (just north of Munich) which is where the Weihenstephan brewery (oldest in the world) is; had a tour of the place and was pretty impressed. If you are staying in Munich it's easy to get to Freising on the S1 train (make sure you are near the front of the train since the rear cars split off and go to the Munich airport at one of the stops) and finding the brewery from the train station will be easy as well. It's a good climb up the hill though (did it two days in a row as I had to re-visit the Weihenstephan gift shop).

Since you will indubitably be around Marienplatz in Munich you will be quite close to the world's most famous beer hall, the Hofbrauhaus. Definitely go there for a meal and a few pints!

We were in Brussels and Munich in November. In Brussels, you should take in Cantillon. Mort Subite was also worth the visit as was Moeder Lambic. In Munich, we went to the Augustiner beer hall which was much more of of a local crowd. Hofbrauhaus is touristy, but it's someplace you should visit once.

If you're interested, my pics are here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.168660216490473.30797.100000394865880

Munich in the summer is all about outdoor drinking - Biergarten. It's been a long time since I've been there, but my all time favorite is Seehaus in the Englischer Garten.

When you are in Munich, I also would go to the hofbrauhaus (surely I massacred the spelling!) just to say you were there. Make sure you get the obligitory photo of yourself and one of those giant beer mugs they serve.

And remember, if you order the boiled little white sausages they have, make sure to peel the skin off them before eating them! My wife and I didn't know that, and had a whole pile of german dudes laughing at as when we were there for World Cup 2006 (brazil beat australia, but those australians were a fun bunch of people to drink with!!). Eventually one guy came over and had to cut our meals for us like we were 4 year olds. :) Good times.

When you are in Munich, I also would go to the hofbrauhaus (surely I massacred the spelling!) just to say you were there. Make sure you get the obligitory photo of yourself and one of those giant beer mugs they serve.

And remember, if you order the boiled little white sausages they have, make sure to peel the skin off them before eating them! My wife and I didn't know that, and had a whole pile of german dudes laughing at as when we were there for World Cup 2006 (brazil beat australia, but those australians were a fun bunch of people to drink with!!). Eventually one guy came over and had to cut our meals for us like we were 4 year olds. :) Good times.

gotta love the liter beers :)

Back