Going To Bottle Next Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don "Ho"

Reaction score
And I am wondering how to do do it correctly without stirring up all the lees.
I just took a sample and readings last wed. and it still hasnt cleared up from that.
I never touched the bottom but the suction that I used stirred up the liquid.

This is in a one gallon jug.

Thanks

Don "Ho"

When I rack 1 gallon batches, I use the hose from my bottling bucket to transfer. It goes a bit slower and more controlled for the small amount.
Be sure NOT to touch the bottom, and don't move it. Rack from wherever it is...If you need to move, do it now, and let it sit for a while.
Then just rack to another container, and bottle from there. Remember that a tiny bit of lees won't hurt much, but 2 tiny bits might.

Is this your first batch "Dry Mead"?

"Is this your first batch "Dry Mead"?"

No actually its the Joes mead. Last week it was clear and the SG was 1.049. The taste was excellent. I have not see any activity for weeks.

Thanks

Yes, I will be checking to see if it has fallen any at the end of the week.
Thanks.

1.049 should be gaggingly sweet. I'd recheck your reading. that should be sweet as raw honey at that gravity.

You guys keep telling me that, so either I am reading the hydrometer wrong, or my taste buds are out to lunch.. :)

I guess I will take another reading tomorrow and see what I can see, but when I tasted it, it was not that sweet..

Don "Ho" said:
You guys keep telling me that, so either I am reading the hydrometer wrong, or my taste buds are out to lunch.. :)

I guess I will take another reading tomorrow and see what I can see, but when I tasted it, it was not that sweet..
When you're done bottling...send me some. I'll check gravity, I'll tast, and let you know.:D

if you can, take a photo of the hydrometer. be sure you spin it a few times to dislodge CO2 bubbles which will raise the hydro and give false (high) readings.

Back