going ag with what i got

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbsj

Reaction score
thinking of making the jump to AG but the wife doesn't want any more beer stuff around the house. i read about converting the 10 gallon coolers. all i have is a big box cooler that i shouldn't be taking apart. could i use that guy and use a really large grain bag or two? i realize i'll be holding the little button to drain the cooler for a while.

thanks

thinking of making the jump to AG but the wife doesn't want any more beer stuff around the house. i read about converting the 10 gallon coolers. all i have is a big box cooler that i shouldn't be taking apart. could i use that guy and use a really large grain bag or two? i realize i'll be holding the little button to drain the cooler for a while.

thanks

You don't want to be holding the drain button while you're draining the 150 degree strike water (or the 170 degree sparge water). You can do the job just fine with a ball valve and a big grain bag instead of a braid or false bottom. The ball valve sticks out a bit, but wouldn't prevent you from using the cooler as a cooler as well as a mash tun.

You don't want to be holding the drain button while you're draining the 150 degree strike water (or the 170 degree sparge water). You can do the job just fine with a ball valve and a big grain bag instead of a braid or false bottom. The ball valve sticks out a bit, but wouldn't prevent you from using the cooler as a cooler as well as a mash tun.

perfect. my fear was loosing the cooler as a cooler.

I purchased a drain cock at the local RV store, as my cooler didn't have any kind of valve. Most of the time I use my VLGB and don't bother with the bazooka.

888250_silo.jpg

I bought an ice cube cooler from Walmart for about $20 and converted it to a MLT. I fill it with ice water to use as a swamp cooler when not mashing in it, so it does not take up any extra space in the house - and I now have a way to keep fermentation temperatures lower.

So, another problem. My pot is only 5 gallons. Would it be effective to boil 4 gallons and put the other two (assuming pulling 6 from the grain bed) in another small pot to boil to kill any nasties and then use it as my topping off water?

I wouldn't suggest boiling 4 g in a 5 g pot, that doesn't leave a lot of room for expansion. Conceivable you could collect two 3-gallon batches of runoff though. Maybe store one in a plastic fermenter while you boil the other?

Splitting the biol would alter your Hop Utilization but could be corrected with some math. I am no help in that department though. She said no MORE equipment right? SO buy bigger pot, sell old smaller pot, still same amount of equipment. :D

Latest posts

Back