God blessed our home brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglySister

Reaction score
So my wife (UglySistertoo) and I just did our first high gravity beer. (OG 1. 084) We used a high gravity yeast that we started two days in advance. I had considered that it might require a blow of tube setup but decided that was only necessary if you have inadequate head space. I had 2 gallons of space and used a S type bubbler.
For the last few weeks we've been trying to make time to read the Bible together before bed, always in the living room. Last night I forgot about it and crawled in bed. Stacey reminded me and I said, "let's read in bed tonight. (the brew was fermenting in my closet) A little while into reading we here this Strange sound. I said," what is that?" "I don't know, is it the beer", answered Stacey. I get up and check and it was going off like a fountain. I moved it quickly to the bathtub and setup a tube while she cleaned the small mess. (the bubbler was leaning towards the door and hit it then ran onto the floor). Had we not been there I can't even imagine how bad it would have been.
Thank you Lord!

You caught it just in time before the volcano erupted in full force.

Look into controlling your fermentation temperatures. Lower temps (63-68F) make for better beer too. As simple as a 19 gallon plastic storage tote filled with cool water.

I'm listening to go it off and I'm wondering why it releases in strong bursts rather than steady bubbles.

That's awesome. How did you come up with that verse? It seems you know your Bible better than me.

Well, I did go to Lutheran schools from kindergarten through the end of high schools, but to be perfectly honest I remembered the Pentecost story only because Garrison Keillor once used it to make a fart joke.

You caught it just in time before the volcano erupted in full force.

Look into controlling your fermentation temperatures. Lower temps (63-68F) make for better beer too. As simple as a 19 gallon plastic storage tote filled with cool water.

The door was sprayed almost to the top, so it was a pretty good one. The reason I say small mess is it pointed at the door rather towards the contents of the closet. The closet has a wood floor. It only erupted a couple times before I got to work.

It it is blowing off through the tube it is likely that krausen is in there and a buildup of pressure is needed to push it over the top of the curve in the tube. Then it gushes until there is not enough pressure left - repeat....

I had krausen go through my three piece airlock this past weekend, but it didn't build up enough pressure to explode. I wonder if I used the one-piece if it wouldn't have let the foam through and popped the whole thing out? Draining out about a quart or two fixed my problem. Sounded like you needed a *lot* more space!

I've been trying to read my Bible every night too, but haven't had much consistency lately. I'll need to set aside some time.

Last edited:
Back