Glycol Temp Control Set Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdavidw

Reaction score
Adding temp control to my fermenters made the biggest improvement to my beer. I make a lot of high gravity beers and can now get my final gravity down by starting a bit on the cold side and ramping up the temp at the end.

Here is how I do it:

rdw390563-67992.jpg

rdw390564-67993.jpg

rdw390565-67994.jpg

rdw390566-67995.jpg

I have four fermenters wrapped in Reflectix with two of them temp controlled. The temp controlled ones have a stainless coil in them with a temp prob. Each fermenter has a Ink Bird controller. The hot is plugged into a heating pad under the fermenter and the cold is plugged into a small submersible pump in the glycol cooler. A third controller has a prob in the glycol cooler and turns on a larger submersible pump in the cooler that recirculates through a 1/2 hp reef aquarium chiller. The controller turns on the chiller pump and the chiller together. I keep the glycol at 28F and can control the two fermenters independently.

Its similar to the SS Brewtech setup but is less then half the cost and its more powerful. The chiller brings the 4.5 gal glycol mix (1.5 gal glycol & 3 gal RO water) down at 1.3 degrees per min, from 73F to 28F in about a half hour. It brings the 6 gal in the fermenter down at a rate of about 0.7 degrees per min and can cold crash down to 38F. To maintain the glycol at 28F the chiller cycles on for 6 min about every two hours.

I used to have just the two fermenter coil pumps in a bucket of glycol in a mini fridge. It would work but only if you were going down less then 8 or 9 degrees. Once the glycol got warm it could not cool down with the heat from the pumps and friction in the coil.

I have been happy with the new setup. It's a little on the loud side but that's not a problem for me. I also use it to cool and temp control my 2L yeast starters. I have a copper coil in a pot of water with a computer fan stir bar under it. I submerge the 2L starter in the water and have a tiny pump in the opposite direction of the stir bar. Works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the build and the use of the aquarium chiller, much safer and efficient than adjusting an old air conditioning unit. Quick question on what drill bits you used for all of the plastic and then the actual hose style you used. Thanks!

Love the build and the use of the aquarium chiller, much safer and efficient than adjusting an old air conditioning unit. Quick question on what drill bits you used for all of the plastic and then the actual hose style you used. Thanks!

Thanks! For the drill bits I used Forstner Bits. They seem to drill cleaner than a hole shooter. On the tubing to and from the coils in the fermenters I used Tetra 1/2 pond tubing. Its cheap and works fine but is not super flexible. For the tubing from the chiller pump to the chiller I used 3/4" corrugated Flexible black PVC. That fit the pump outlet and I used a 1" to 3/4" bushing to the chiller inlet. From the chiller back to the cooler I used the same stuff but in 1". I then wrapped it all in standard Home Depot pipe insulation. For the connections from the tubing to the coils in the fermenters I went with Blichmann quick connectors.

Some photos of my yeast starters. There is a stir plate under the pot and a stir bar in the starter. Cools down the starter from boiling to 67 in about 15 min or so and will hold temp at whatever you set.

starterboil-68002.jpg

startercoil-68003.jpg

starterincoil-68004.jpg

starterwithlid-68005.jpg

I found a problem with my setup.

I have the chiller pump and the two returns from the fermenter coils on one side of the cooler. On the other side of the cooler are the two pumps for the coils and the return for the chiller. The temp prob is in the center and the coil pumps and returns are on opposing sides. My thinking is that the coldest return from the chiller would go directly into the coil pumps and the warmer returns from the coils would go directly to the chiller intake.

Here is the problem. If the coil pump is going while the chiller pump is on, and then the coil pump kicks off, then the intake from the chiller pump keeps the flow from the coil loop going. This results in the fermenter temps to go lower than the target.

I was going to move all three pumps to the same side and then put check valves after the fermenter pumps. That would make things a bit cramped in the small cooler.

Instead, I ordered a pair of Solenoid Valves. I will add a 12V wall charger to each fermenter pump controller plug. As they are normally closed, this should shut off the loop once target temp is hit.

I could move to just a single pump that is on all of the time that goes through the chiller and has the two fermenter coils loop ins on that. The down side to that is keeping that pump on all of the time will loose cold faster. I could also run a relay array where if any of the three controllers kick on then the chiller pump kicks on. This array would be a little complex and I already have the pumps and loops set up.

Any better ideas?

Just had another idea. If I was to punch a small hole in the coil return line, in the cooler but above the water line that should act as a vacume break. When the coil pump kicked off air would be pulled in and the glycol in the tubing would drain back though the pump and empty the line. That should work. The small coil pumps will have to work a little harder to refill the line each time it kicks on but that's not a big deal. Keeping the lines empty will also likely improve the overall insulation. Anyone have any other suggestions?

classic reef aquarium overflow solution lol

LOL - Yes I have a 150 gal reef tank that has been running well since 1993. I use a identical chiller for the reef tank. Been brewing on and off since around the same time I set that tank up. Time flys when you are staring at your reef tank and drinking a homebrew.

reeftank-68060.jpg

I ordered one of those self same chillers a week or so ago and it showed up today. Pulled it out of its box and it sat there on my work bench hissing away. Pretty sure something's punctured and it's losing refrigerant as there's an increasing oily pool on one side of the condenser.

Interestingly you can see that it's basically a modified AC window unit which someone has converted to have a liquid liquid heat exchanger. Pretty smart really.

Hopefully the seller will be good at exchanges

I ordered one of those self same chillers a week or so ago and it showed up today. Pulled it out of its box and it sat there on my work bench hissing away. Pretty sure something's punctured and it's losing refrigerant as there's an increasing oily pool on one side of the condenser.

Interestingly you can see that it's basically a modified AC window unit which someone has converted to have a liquid liquid heat exchanger. Pretty smart really.

Hopefully the seller will be good at exchanges

Sorry to hear that. I got two from the same eBay seller. One for my reef tank about five years ago and then recently for my fermenter chiller. They have both worked fine and I have been impressed with there cooling speed but they are a bit on the loud side when running. My last one also came with slip couplings but was listed as threaded couplings but that is not a big deal. Sorry you got a busted one. Keep us posted on how well the seller takes care of your return. We don't want to send more business his way if he does not offer good support.

Sure thing. Overall Im happy with the price assuming I get a working unit in the end. I don't want to hack an ac unit into a chiller myself and I don't have the facility to fabricate coolant lines and perform the subsequent vacuum and charging of a coolant system so whilst it's a little spendy it's still half the price of the SS brewtech unit

Yeah it's definitely dead. It's stopped hissing for one. Powered it up and the evaporator doesn't get cold, and the hissing returned albeit much more quietly

The attached link takes me to a 10" coil. My problem is the opening on my 30L Speidel is 4 7/8". Which size Speidel are you using? Or did you use the 3/8" diameter tubing coiled to 4" that's on the Stainless Brewing website?

The attached link takes me to a 10" coil. My problem is the opening on my 30L Speidel is 4 7/8". Which size Speidel are you using? Or did you use the 3/8" diameter tubing coiled to 4" that's on the Stainless Brewing website?

When I get back in town tomorrow I will try to find and post the drawing I gave them for the custom coils. I have the 30L fermenters and the custom coils work great. Don't try to bend stainless yourself. They only charged me the same price as in the link.

When I get back in town tomorrow I will try to find and post the drawing I gave them for the custom coils. I have the 30L fermenters and the custom coils work great. Don't try to bend stainless yourself. They only charged me the same price as in the link.

Thanks!

This is likely the closest stock item they have but I am not sure it would fit: 4" stainless coil

This is what they used to make my pair of coils:
smcoil-68067.jpg

Fits perfect. They did a great job on the custom ones and they shipped out quick.
rdw390565-67994.jpg

I drilled four holes spaced evenly in the lid to my 30L fermenter, two for the coil, one for the thermowell and one for the airlock. I put the cap back on the top where the stock airlock was due to it being too big and getting in the way of the coil fast connects.

I'm actually buying a new one and returning the old one as eBay makes that easier and also that way I don't pay to ship the busted on back

The new one showed up today. A quick audible check shows no hissing sounds which is a great start. I'll test fire it quickly later on to make sure that it hasn't already lost its refrigerant but I'm hopeful

A quick test run showed that the evaporator coils get nice and cold. Now to assembled the supporting equipment and cough up for some glycol

Got mine Saturday and hooked it up for a water test last night. Cooled great so far. Will get it hooked up to the fermenter Wednesday.

@rdavidw...awesome setup you have...I'm probably going to try and copy it!! I'm still on the fence about what chiller I should go with...don't have experience with either aquarium or regular glycol chillers, but do think they are the most bang for the buck with minimal space taken. I do have 2 window unit ac I could convert to a makeshift glycol chiller. Question if you used a compression style bulk head to keep the coils in place on the lid? I also don't have a small cooler, I have an Igloo one that you could probably fit 2 bodies in it. Would that same 1/2 hp still be able to chill that down if I had 15 or 20 gallons in it as my reservoir?

@02RedWS6TA...that is a pretty sweet set up as well....maybe one day I'll have some ss conicals....

Where did you get the cooling coil for the 30L Speidel? I have been searching for a coil that fits thru the lid and so far have not found anything.

Tim

What is the model of the aquarium chiller? This is an interesting setup and seems much easier to implement than modifying an AC unit.

@rdavidw...awesome setup you have...I'm probably going to try and copy it!! I'm still on the fence about what chiller I should go with...don't have experience with either aquarium or regular glycol chillers, but do think they are the most bang for the buck with minimal space taken. I do have 2 window unit ac I could convert to a makeshift glycol chiller. Question if you used a compression style bulk head to keep the coils in place on the lid? I also don't have a small cooler, I have an Igloo one that you could probably fit 2 bodies in it. Would that same 1/2 hp still be able to chill that down if I had 15 or 20 gallons in it as my reservoir?

@02RedWS6TA...that is a pretty sweet set up as well....maybe one day I'll have some ss conicals....

I think it could cool down and hold down 15 to 20 gallons but I would not recommend it. It would take about two hours to go from 72F down to temp. It would then loose temp at about the same speed as 3 or 4 gallons and then take much longer to bring back down. On the plus side you could bring your fermenter temp down a little faster. Get a cheap small cooler.

I did not use compression fittings to mount the coils. I just used a small rubber bung on each side; the same ones I used for the airlock and thermowell. Seems to be airtight. They are tapered and the weight of the coils pull them down. Easier to clean.

Hey Tim, the link to the coil is on the first page: http://stainlessbrewing.3dcartstores.com/10-Coil-with-2-vertical-bends-25-x-12-x-035-OD-Tubing-304304L-HERMSFermentor-coil_p_265.html

And I gave them this drawing that is on page 2:
smcoil-68067.jpg
Thanks, I ordered two and have fit one in my Speidel and one in a 6 gal bucked. I used a #3 stopper for the Speidel and SS compression fittings on the bucket. There isn't room on the 30L Speidel lid for the SS compressions so the stoppers look like they will need hose clamps around the cooling line to keep it all in place.

How do you have the chiller pump and aquarium chiller connected to your controller so that they both come on at the same time?

How do you have the chiller pump and aquarium chiller connected to your controller so that they both come on at the same time?

I wired up an ink bird controller to switch an outlet then plugged an extension cord into it to plug in multiple things. You could also just wire up the controller to switch a standard two way outlet. You probably don’t need to control a heat source after all

Back