Glycol pump reccomendations ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this pump for my DYI glycol chiller: https://www.morebeer.com/products/submersible-pump-1300-gph.html

Sometimes it binds on startup due to loose tolerances. It will start up on first try sometimes, but often takes a couple of tries. Obviously that does not work with automated control.

Any recommendations on a good submersible pump with similar capacity? I would prefer 120V so I do not have to get an additional transformer, as am running off inkbird 308.

I have the set up from Spike. It's about 40$. Works well and doesnt produce too much heat when it turns on. Think they've tried to minimize the heat the motor gives off .

I have the set up from Spike. It's about 40$. Works well and doesnt produce too much heat when it turns on. Think they've tried to minimize the heat the motor gives off .

I use the spike pump too for my fermentor, I use the bayite pump I linked above to chill my keg lines, they look almost identical (except for color and connections)

To follow up, I am now using the Little Giant series 4 pump linked in post above. It is strong and quite. Big difference between it and plastic one from morebeer. I will note that they sent a free shipping label and are accepting return of old pump. The impeller seems to have come loose from shaft or something, after only two weeks intermittent use.

New pump is a lot heavier(though not much bigger), and draws more amps, but still well withing capacity of inkbird 308 temp controller.

I was about to order from supplyhouse, as I have bought from them before and they are good supplier with free shipping over $100, but found a new/open box one on ebay for about 1/2 price.

been using a bunch of these food grade pumps for almost 6 years now with no issues...for brewing
for my glycol though I use the pump that was built into my chillers along with DC solenoid valves to determine which fermenter gets cooled.. smaller version of what the breweries do.

The morebeer pump is a marked up "Kedsum" aquarium/pond pump. some of these will develop an issue where the bushing on the ends of the impeller shaft wear from constantly being turned on and off. these bushing are usually made of rubber or plastic on this type of pump.its an issue when people use them with wavemakers in reef tanks.
heres a link to one on ebay for half the cost (and free shipping). Notice the flow rate is differently but the wattage is the same.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/880-GPH-Submersible-Aquarium-Fish-Pond-Tank-Fountain-Waterfall-Water-Pump-US/392356797250?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=59445&meid=b81d94327b8849d78b0fd229067210fb&pid=100005&rk=6&rkt=12&sd=310812485069&itm=392356797250&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

heres one for less...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/880GPH-Aqu...242443?hash=item5474e2538b:g:TrcAAOSwlPZdZds7

Last edited:
I think I am going to go the Lay flat hose route for my 1/4 Barrel sankey fermenter, 5gal batches. Prob just use water cooler for now as I mainly brew ales. Any recommendations on how to connect the lay flat ends to the tubing? What size tubing are you using and any newer submersible pump recommendations? Thanks

Any recommendations on how to connect the lay flat ends to the tubing? What size tubing are you using and any newer submersible pump recommendations? Thanks

It depends on the diameter of the flat hose you are using. I used 1.5 inch flat hose (which is about 2 inches ID when flattened) to 1 inch PVC to 1/2 NPT PVC, to 1/2 inch silicon tubing. The no leak quick connects are an added convenience, and worth the extra expense unless leaving the system set up the same way all the time. The glycol pump I listed in post #5 is still working great.
IMG_1980.JPG

Back