Glycol Chiller not Chillin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
Howdy,

This morning I tried to push my fermenter further down after a cold crash (TC @ 34 - Chiller - 28) there seems to be a halt in the chilling action. I would have to assume there is ice build up on the Spike Coils. My beers temp is reading 44f at this time (from 36 this morning) and rising. I'm thinking the ice must still be stuck to the coils - when I try and run the pumps, it just goes continously as the temp keeps climbing.

Right now I unplugged the TC controller and am just gonna try again. Has anyone been here before? how long did it take before the ice was melted from the coil?

Cheers!

I believe Spike recommends you reverse the flow of the glycol through the coil when you switch from standard fermentation temperature control to cold crashing. Did you do this?

See page two of the below Product Guide.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0..._Product_Guide_FINAL.pdf?14033054371399362451

Yeah, I did do that. Actually I had a very successful crash to 36F. I went to 40, switched the lines and then pushed it to 36 for 24 hours. I dumped yeast this morning. After the dump, I had a bright idea to see if I could get it lower, and set the TC to 34. This is where it stopped cooling. The Penguin Chiller has been set to 28 during this entire process. It's currently unplugged and warmed up to 46.

Not being able to open the tank, I can only assume this is ice build up. Hopefully I can re-chill it later, but I dont know how long that will take.

Latest posts

Back