Glycol chiller help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Purchased the Icemaster Max 4 a little while back. I'm on my 4th half bbl batch with it. It has worked like a charm up until this point. I checked on it at my lunch break just to make sure everything was going ok and found that everything WASN'T going ok.

Going to try to make this as short and as clear as possible...

So the front of the unit looks like this...
1600450704558.png

I'm using the pump that is on the far left. Have always used that one. When the pump is running, there's a red LED light that turns on the right hand side of the display, right about here...
1600450769842.png

When I looked at it, I noticed that the set temp was below the actual temp and the light was on, but the pump wasn't running. You can always hear the pump as it has a slight hum to it. So I started messing with the controls on the left side of the display. The red circle below is the "SET" button, the blue circle is the "C*/F*". When you want to change the set temp, you hit the SET button and then you use SET to adjust up and you use C*/F* to adjust down...
1600451067921.png

What I noticed is that when I put pressure on the SET button, the pump would turn on. So if I held pressure on that area, the pump would stay running. As soon as I released pressure, it would stop running again. Just to verify, I turned on one of the other pumps and it seemed to run just fine for the 20 seconds I had it on.

So, didn't have a lot of time to dig into it. However, when I get home, I'm going to switch the tank over to the other pump to finish out this batch.

Is anyone familiar enough with these units to know what might be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Back