Glycol chiller for small time home brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Presbrewterian Pastor

Man’s sweat + God’s love = Beer
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a less expensive glycol chiller then the ones that run 4+ fermenters at once? I usually just have one batch going at a time, max would be just two.

How big are your batches?

i have two chillers. The Stasis is probably the least expensive chiller on the market and can chill two 5- or 6-gallon batches simultaneously. It has built-in pumps and thermostats, which is important to consider when comparing cost. Most others don’t come with those. Its main limitations are a fixed glycol temperature and small pumps which don’t seem to be able to handle much head pressure, so I try to keep the chiller and fermenter on roughly the same plane. Some say it is very loud. I wouldn’t want one in my living room, that’s for sure, but it’s not offensive. If you define cold-crashing as 33F, the Stasis is not for you. It struggles to get to the advertised 36F.

I also have the smallest Penguin. It appears to be a repurposed window air conditioner. The case is really strange. The bottom isn’t flat and it lacks any feet. Mine is sitting on a rolling furniture dolly. The reservoir is a bin with what appears to be a plastic food service tray lid that has had holes drilled through it for the cheap plastic hose barbs and pump wires. The smaller Penguin pumps are quite strong. It can have up to four pumps, but I have just two and think that getting two more pumps into that reservoir looks like a bit of a challenge. It is quieter than the Stasis, but not dramatically so. With greater capacity and an adjustable glycol temperature (using one of those inexpensive temperature controllers that require a manual to operate...Ugh), it can cold crash to 33F or even lower.

The Penguin is more functional than the Stasis and Penguin’s support is quite a bit better. I suspect that Craft-a-Brew’s staff is all part-timers who also have full-time jobs. That’s pure, unadulterated speculation, though. It has taken me days or even weeks to get a response from Craft-a-Brew and responses have sometimes come at odd hours of the day. But as I’ve become more familiar with the Stasis, I realize that it meets 95% of my needs, is relatively low-cost, and has a desirable small and light form factor, plus greater ease of use. In short, both are good, but imperfect.

People seem very satisfied with the Icemaster units, but I have no personal knowledge of them.

If you are slightly handy, you can DIY. Plenty of threads about DIY glycol chillers on HBT.

I made mine from a $50 Craigslist window A/C and a $30 cooler. Probably have less than $250 into it, including glycol.
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG

I 2nd the diy. Mine is still going strong .
I have been looking into making one. I'm curious of the size ac you got and what you think of the capacity? I would like to use the chiller for not only fermentation control but also cooling wort post boil.

5000BTU A/Cs are commonly used.
Mine easily crashes my conical to 28F, but I live in a mild climate.

I usually chill to pitch temp for ales, but I have used the chiller to bring wort from around 100F to pitch temp a few times. And I usually pitch lagers at 45F, so I'll use the chiller to get there.

I have been looking into making one. I'm curious of the size ac you got and what you think of the capacity? I would like to use the chiller for not only fermentation control but also cooling wort post boil.

5000 btu manual ac like @Tom R mentioned . My cooler size is I can fit 7 gallons of distilled water and 3 gallons of glycol with adequate room to spare . Like a 48 or 52 qt cooler , not sure though. Its super easy .

https://backdeckbrewing.wordpress.com/

5000 btu manual ac like @Tom R mentioned . My cooler size is I can fit 7 gallons of distilled water and 3 gallons of glycol with adequate room to spare . Like a 48 or 52 qt cooler , not sure though. Its super easy .

So you think you could cool 180 °F wort to ale pitch temps with your chiller? I'm using a counter flow chiller which is new to me. Works very well at 50°F ground water so 38°F glycol or colder should work great I'm thinking.

So you think you could cool 180 °F wort to ale pitch temps with your chiller? I'm using a counter flow chiller which is new to me. Works very well at 50°F ground water so 38°F glycol or colder should work great I'm thinking.

I'm not sure i would try that . It might be really hard on the unit . It would probably take a while and that amount of heat exchange could be bad for the unit. I typically will chill wort down to 80-90f with my cfc in the summer then transfer to my fv then hook up to the glycol.

I'm not 100% sure about the heat exchange from 180f wort causing issues with the unit as I'm not a HVAC professional. So maybe someone here may have a better answer . If you can get the wort down good with the cfc I'd do that , then hook up to your glycol like I do.

I'm definitely going to do this. Such a pain using ice in a cooler. Thanks for sharing, wonder what ever happened to that dude.

How big are your batches?

i have two chillers. The Stasis is probably the least expensive chiller on the market and can chill two 5- or 6-gallon batches simultaneously. It has built-in pumps and thermostats, which is important to consider when comparing cost. Most others don’t come with those. Its main limitations are a fixed glycol temperature and small pumps which don’t seem to be able to handle much head pressure, so I try to keep the chiller and fermenter on roughly the same plane. Some say it is very loud. I wouldn’t want one in my living room, that’s for sure, but it’s not offensive. If you define cold-crashing as 33F, the Stasis is not for you. It struggles to get to the advertised 36F.

I also have the smallest Penguin. It appears to be a repurposed window air conditioner. The case is really strange. The bottom isn’t flat and it lacks any feet. Mine is sitting on a rolling furniture dolly. The reservoir is a bin with what appears to be a plastic food service tray lid that has had holes drilled through it for the cheap plastic hose barbs and pump wires. The smaller Penguin pumps are quite strong. It can have up to four pumps, but I have just two and think that getting two more pumps into that reservoir looks like a bit of a challenge. It is quieter than the Stasis, but not dramatically so. With greater capacity and an adjustable glycol temperature (using one of those inexpensive temperature controllers that require a manual to operate...Ugh), it can cold crash to 33F or even lower.

The Penguin is more functional than the Stasis and Penguin’s support is quite a bit better. I suspect that Craft-a-Brew’s staff is all part-timers who also have full-time jobs. That’s pure, unadulterated speculation, though. It has taken me days or even weeks to get a response from Craft-a-Brew and responses have sometimes come at odd hours of the day. But as I’ve become more familiar with the Stasis, I realize that it meets 95% of my needs, is relatively low-cost, and has a desirable small and light form factor, plus greater ease of use. In short, both are good, but imperfect.

People seem very satisfied with the Icemaster units, but I have no personal knowledge of them.
Thanks very much. I appreciate all the DIY comments on here but am not super handy. Plus I'm being gifted some money for this. The sky is NOT the limit but buying a unit rather than making one is both reasonable and preferable. I don't see me doing more than two 5 gallon batches at a time.

Latest posts

Back