Glycol Chiller Coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyBeagleBrewing

Reaction score
I know a company called stainless brewing has stainless steel coils already. I am just wondering if this is the only company out there that makes different size coils. Anyone know of any other company?

Also for 10 gallon batches, what is the best bet on coil size and overall length? I seen Blichmanns coil and it looks to be 3/8 and not sure on the overall length.

Thanks in advance.

lost me on this one... is this for a glycol chiller? you don't usually buy the condensor/coils separate.

Or is this more for a coutner-flow chiller or herms setup?

lost me on this one... is this for a glycol chiller? you don't usually buy the condensor/coils separate.

Or is this more for a coutner-flow chiller or herms setup?

This is the coil that will reside in the fermenter to cool the beer while fermenting. I have a Glycol Chiller unit already, now I am building a fermenter from a Chapman 14 gallon stainless tank. The goal is to find a coil for inside the fermenter to cool it down. Mainly 10 gallon batches.

This is the coil that will reside in the fermenter to cool the beer while fermenting. I have a Glycol Chiller unit already, now I am building a fermenter from a Chapman 14 gallon stainless tank. The goal is to find a coil for inside the fermenter to cool it down. Mainly 10 gallon batches.
$20 worth of blue discharge hose wrapped around the outside of the stainless fermenter will cool better than the coil and be much easier to maintain and keep clean and sanitary inside. I have both conicals with the coils from stainless brewing inside them and the discharge hose setup and prefer the hose hands down. The only disavantage is the bling factor if your into that.

$20 worth of blue discharge hose wrapped around the outside of the stainless fermenter will cool better than the coil and be much easier to maintain and keep clean and sanitary inside. I have both conicals with the coils from stainless brewing inside them and the discharge hose setup and prefer the hose hands down. The only disavantage is the bling factor if your into that.
auggiedoggy - Do you have a picture of your setup? I'm having a hard time imagining it. Are you pumping OUT of the fermenter, into the SS coil, which is inside the blue hose.....and the coolant is running through the blue hose? I'm a bit confused I think.

$20 worth of blue discharge hose wrapped around the outside of the stainless fermenter will cool better than the coil and be much easier to maintain and keep clean and sanitary inside.

What is blue discharge hose, any pics of it on fermentor?

A friend recently told me he was using some left over pex tubing wrapped around his and it works. I like this idea better then having the coil in the tank to sanitize. Less work too, as I have old unknown brand conicals and I do not want to cut holes in lids.

This is what I was wondering ^^^^^

I think of a rubber hose that's copper lined. It cant be that though thered be no chilling the fermenter . It would have to be metal. I definitely wouldn't want my beautiful spike conical to get scratched. I think it be a pain to wrap coil around the outside with all the ports and such.

I think he's talking about this type of hose. Still trying to imagine his setup.

download.jpg

Last edited:
yes there are pics in my build thread in my signature below.. To test I cold crashed an empty fermenter and got frost on the inside of the conical walls with this setup so it works well.. plus it insulates at the same time.

This is not my video but its where I got the idea btw.

I wrap mine in the foil based bubblewrap for added insulation.
I clean my conicals in place so no need to ever remove the insulation or wrap.. Again this is not ideal for cosmetics if your wanting to show things off to people but its very functional and actually better performance/ maintenance wise than the ss brewtech I had with the coil inside.

yes there are pics in my build thread in my signature below.. To test I cold crashed an empty fermenter and got frost on the inside of the conical walls with this setup so it works well.. plus it insulates at the same time.

This is not my video but its where I got the idea btw.

I wrap mine in the foil based bubblewrap for added insulation.

Whoa that's a trip :)

There are more cosmetically pleasing ways to make fittings for the end of the hose to reduce it down.. I tried uploading some photos but the limitation on filesize is smaller now that the forum moved to a new hosting site and I cant upload the same files that are in my build thread.

got it to work after resizing... the discharge hose is under the two left most conicals the taller stout conical uses a cooling jacket from coolzone.com (the carboy cooling jacket they sell) there are silicone heater strips in the lower portion of the cone arera too for heating. I use brucontrol to control temps on them all and an old chiller someone gave me from work.
resized fermenter.jpg

Last edited:

I picked up a water chiller and I have two 10gal cornies. I was thinking about just putting a loop of SS tube through a the corny lid (similar to the Anvil chiller set up). I imagine cleaning that chiller would be a lot easier than one that actually coils. Would you still recomend the discharge hose? The other issue is there is no CIP with the cornies, would the blue hose be a PIA with moving the keg around to clean?

I picked up a water chiller and I have two 10gal cornies. I was thinking about just putting a loop of SS tube through a the corny lid (similar to the Anvil chiller set up). I imagine cleaning that chiller would be a lot easier than one that actually coils. Would you still recomend the discharge hose? The other issue is there is no CIP with the cornies, would the blue hose be a PIA with moving the keg around to clean?
honestly you could likely do it two ways.. either just wrap the cornies and unwrap them when your done, or wrap and tape and insultate the outside making them more of a fermentation chamber use thing. the diameter of the 10 gallon cornies would work well with what I use on my 12" diameter stout fermenter too...
http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html
they cost more but ease of installation and removal is better if it important to you.

they cost more but ease of installation and removal is better if it important to you.

I'm on the fence with those. They are a little pricey when you want a couple of them, but I can see where a clean setup that can be quickly installed would eventually be better (hence the interest spending more for a SS loop through the lid vs. the cheap discharge coil). I also have a pair of the wine tanks. It seem too easy to not put a coil through the lid of those.

upload_2019-6-28_8-33-4.png

Back